• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR6.14 spinning ball on exit, then crashes, on MacOs 10.15.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaytanic

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Versione Lightroom: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi,
I've just upgraded to MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 since all my apps were 64-bit and I knew that even my LR 6.14 is working fine with MacOS Catalina,
the only think which won't work is LR 6.14 installer, which is 32-bit.
Just after the update, I've launched Lightroom, it works fine, I can see everything and change my photos as usual, but as soon as I click on quit, the spinning ball appears and LR gets stuck on exit. If I leave it with the spinning ball after some seconds it crashes. It happens every time.
Did you experience the same issue? Did you find a solution or have any suggestion about what I could try?

Thank you in advance for any help.

I haven't seen other reports, but might it be getting stuck trying to back up to a specific folder?

I haven't seen other reports, but might it be getting stuck trying to back up to a specific folder?
Any idea about what I could try to enable/disable maybe in LR options to avoid the shutdown crash?

It gets stuck before showing me the prompt that usually asked me to back up the catalog before exiting.. BTW it did not ask me for a permission to work within my document folder as other MacOS apps did..
Lightroom Catalog file and other work data is usually stored as default in the Pictures folder. Probably not the same as the Documents folder wrt OS permissions

It's a long shot, but go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Files and Folders and make sure that Lightroom has permission to access the various drives and folders

It's a long shot, but go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Files and Folders and make sure that Lightroom has permission to access the various drives and folders
It has access to Documents folder.. I've tried to add a specific permission to LR to give him all access to the whole disk but nothing changed. The spinning ball appears as soon as I press cmd+Q, before showing the quit window where it usually asked to perform catalog backup. :-/

LR6 is a bit of an unknown quantity on Catalina. It's had the smallest bit of testing to see if it opens, but a lot changed in Catalina so a bug wouldn't surprise me. You could try the standard troubleshooting steps to rule out the most likely suspects: Standard Lightroom Classic Troubleshooting Steps

LR6 is a bit of an unknown quantity on Catalina. It's had the smallest bit of testing to see if it opens, but a lot changed in Catalina so a bug wouldn't surprise me. You could try the standard troubleshooting steps to rule out the most likely suspects: Standard Lightroom Classic Troubleshooting Steps
Hi, I've tried presets & prefs troubleshooting as suggested but nothing changed.. I think I can't re-install the app since LR 6.14 is 64-bit but its installer isn't, right? I've always upgraded LR every two years when it was a perpetual-license app, now it is quite difficult for me to justify 140€/year for the subscription since I'm not a professional photographer.. BTW, If I'll every buy the subscription, is the migration from LR6.14 to the actual release pain free?

I've just tried to disable and remove all external plug-ins that I'm not using anymore and then I've de-registered the corresponding services. Then I've pressed cmd-Q and LR exited without crashing! I've thought I've solved the problem, re-opened it, cmd-Q, crash again :-/

I've finally bought the 1-year subscription since there was a small discount today (120 €/year).. Everything seems to work, some problems with reverse-geocoding (400 photos I've imported on LR6.14 did not have reverse geocoding, since LR6.14 could not work with google maps anymore, and I didn't know how to re-trigger it.. so I had to do a re-import of those photos..can I trigger it without a re-import?). I'll see if I use it to justify the expense..

If the images have GPS co-ordinates assigned, then reverse-geocoding should be automatic....provided it's enabled in the Catalog Settings>Metadata tab, and it's not been paused in the Activity Panel.

Same problem here: After upgrading to Catalina, Lightroom 6.14 shows spinning ball on exit, then crashes. Has anyone found a solution?

Same problem here: After upgrading to Catalina, Lightroom 6.14 shows spinning ball on exit, then crashes. Has anyone found a solution?

LR6.14 and Catalina are untested wrt stability. All bets are off with an update OS and a Legacy app like 6.14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks as if the connection with Adobe internet is blocked or something like that:
why don't you give LTR Full Disk Access and also Accessibility access in SecurityAndPrivacy folder in SystemPreferences ?

I was able to fix this by installing the Creative Cloud desktop app in Catalina.

For anyone searching, it would also keep working if you updated the AAM (Adobe Application Manager) to the Creative Cloud App prior to upgrading to Catalina (but seems to work just fine if you miss this step, and need to install it after upgrading).

Enjoy!

Can you login with Adobe and then check if you have still not reached the maximum of LTR in your account? Even if you have the max number of LTR, it in some cases it helped to get rid of these crashes.

I've only just upgraded to Catalina and started having the same problem exiting LR 6.14, as described earlier in this thread, while prior to the OS upgrade, I never experienced the crashes.
I have noticed that on exiting LR, if I unchecked the option to test the integrity of the backup, the application didn't crash and I didn't get the crash report.
While writing this, I have also followed the advice of 'herburger' by installing the CC App for Desktop and this seems to have stopped LR crashing on exit, even with the option to test integrity of the backup, checked.
Thanks to 'herburger'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back