• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR6.14 on Mojave in Parallels VM; hosted on Big Sur; LR crashes after photo import

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy.nicholson

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
My good old MacBook running Mojave just died and I bought a 2020 MacBook with Catalina pre-installed.
Now I'm using Parallels 15 with an OS X Mojave VM with Lightroom 6 newly installed on that VM. The host 2020 MacBook is now running Big Sur.
=> thus files can be located on the MacBook drive ("Big Sur") or inside the Parallels virtual machine ("Mojave VM").

The Lightroom catalog is stored locally on "Mojave VM" (I copied the 11GB file in): I could not get Lightroom to work with this catalog stored on "Big Sur" through Parallels Shared Folders.
The actual photos are stored on Big Sur, not on Mojave VM to avoid bloating the Parallels VM and the Parallels shared folders are used to access these photos.
The GPU option is disabled in Lightroom settings.
=> so far so good.

When I try an import, the import bar completes then Lightroom crashes. When I re-open Lightroom the imported photos are in the catalog, and I can develop and export. Did anyone encounter this crash and find a work-around?

I don't know about parallels but OS X on a VMWare virtual machine will see the BigSur drive as a network connection. You can not open the LR6 catalog on a network connection. This may not even be your issue.
I think you have too many variables at play to really get LR6 running. LR6. is not supported on Big Sur and can't be installed on any but 32bit OS like Mojave. It is certain that LR6 has never been tested on a VM install.

I don't know about parallels but OS X on a VMWare virtual machine will see the BigSur drive as a network connection. You can not open the LR6 catalog on a network connection.
Yep, same for Parallels. The catalog on the virtual drive should work though, as I check Lightroom on Windows through Parallels the same way.

LR6 should run on Mojave, but Clee is right, that's a lot of variables for troubleshooting. What kind of settings are you using when importing? And where are you importing from?

Thanks for the replies. Agree there is complexity here (if this really fails, I do have a Mac Mini 2014 running Mojave, so I could move everything, e.g.: LR6, catalog, photo folders to that machine - though I'd prefer a portable setup).

To recap: LR6.14 and catalog are both on the Mojave (Parallels VM); photo folders are on MacBook Big Sur which is seen as a "Shared Folder" by LR6.14. Everything is on a single MacBook SSD (Big Sur, Parallels, Mojave VM) with 16GB of RAM, and 400GB of free SSD space. So far Parallels VM is given 6GB of RAM to work with.

When I try an import from new photo folders on Big Sur, e.g.: importing from network drive, the import bar completes then a few seconds afterwards LR6.14 crashes - and Mojave generates a crash report to Adobe. When I re-open LR6.14 the imported photos are present and normal work can continue.

I will try 8GB for the Parallels VM, and there is a "hypervisor" setting to try in Parallels that can be set Parallels (default) / Apple.

Last edited:
Further testing, and the crash happens every time: just opening Lightroom and doing nothing after 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Crashed Thread: 20 Worker Thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

My photos folder has 45,000 photos, so I wondered if this is due to low VM resources. Then I tried increasing all Parallels settings
- CPU = 4 (was 2)
- Memory = 8GB (was 6GB)
- GPU memory = 512KB (was 64MB)
- VM hard disk capacity 128GB (was 64GB)
- hypervisor on Parallels / Apple (default Parallels)
- network settings on Shared or Bridged

Perhaps this freshly installed VM and freshly installed Lightroom got somehow corrupted. I might try a complete new install of everything.

Using El Capitan VM on Parallels 15, I did a new install of Lightroom 6.14 and copied the 11GB catalog into the local drive of the VM.

The same issue duplicates: Lightroom 6.14 crashes after an import from Shared Folders and is then unstable.

Looks like this Parallels install of Lightroom is not going to work out :(

with Mac mini (2014) running native Mojave OS X and the original catalog (~40K photos), the same crash happens with Lightroom 6.14 after importing photos.

So this may have nothing to do with Parallels... the plot thickens! :)

Thanks for the link: changing the time inside the Parallels VM to September 2020, and the crash is not happening. Indeed looks like this People/face thing is the issue.

Note: to change the time in Parallels Mojave VM: first I had to change the VM configuration with Options > More Options > Time: Do not sync, then startup the VM.

Following the link you provided about this Lightroom 6 bug, some folks there have tried scripts to: change system time, start Lightroom 6, then set time current. This bash script works for me inside the Parallels Mojave OS X virtual machine.:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo date 1001083020  # 10-01-2020 08:30
open -a "Adobe Lightroom"
sleep 30
sudo sntp -S time.apple.com
Note: to change the time in Parallels Mojave VM: first I had to change the VM configuration with Options > More Options > Time: Do not sync, then startup the VM.

Just a thought: in preparation for upgrading my Mojave Mac mini to Catalina or Big Sur - and wanting to keep Lr 6 - I installed Mojave to run on an external SSD, and installed Lr 6 on that drive.

To boot to that drive you just need to change the startup disk in System Preferences.

The Lr catalog stays on the original "Macintosh HD" and my images remain on a separate external HDD. This worked perfectly for me, and might possibly be a solution for you instead of VM?

Thanks - that's a great setup!

I'm trying to run everything off the MacBook internal drive (I went with a 1TB SSD ... $$$) for portability: and I think the Parallels Mojave VM is working fine.

What confused me was the LR6 people/face-detection crashing bug - for which I now have the system date work around. It wasn't due to Parallels.

Thanks again.

Thanks - that's a great setup!

I'm trying to run everything off the MacBook internal drive (I went with a 1TB SSD ... $$$) for portability: and I think the Parallels Mojave VM is working fine.

What confused me was the LR6 people/face-detection crashing bug - for which I now have the system date work around. It wasn't due to Parallels.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Forgot to add the link: How to Install & Run macOS Mojave from External SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back