• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR6.14 crashes when I hit the people menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonharnew

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have LR 6.14 with some 16k photos. I have not accessed the people menu before, but when I try it LR crashes. Am using win10 i5-6500 CPU GeForce GTX 1050 16GB memory all up to date 64bit. any help would be appreciated

Further to my above problem it has now started to crash whenever I delete a photo I tried it on my second older computer and while it crashes on people it does not on delete,

I have just spoken to adobe on chat and they tell me lr6.14 is no longer supported and will not work with latest update of win10 anyone else experienced this

Somya (12/16/20 6:21:18 PM GMT): Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling.
Somya (12/16/20 6:21:54 PM GMT): I wont be able to help much as there is no support for LR 6.14
You (12/16/20 6:22:18 PM GMT): in the lightroom catalogue folder I have about 25 temporary db & db-journal files going
back to 6 hours to when i started today
You (12/16/20 6:22:53 PM GMT): great what do i do
You (12/16/20 6:24:40 PM GMT): when i want to deactivate one of my computers to install on a new one do I do it with
you through chat
You (12/16/20 6:26:11 PM GMT): I have not tried reinstalling do i sign out before i uninstall then will it just reinstall with
the serial key or do i have to talk to you to get authorisation
Somya (12/16/20 6:29:04 PM GMT): yes you can sign out and then reinstall.
Somya (12/16/20 6:29:13 PM GMT): Serial key will license it
Somya (12/16/20 6:29:23 PM GMT): May I know the version of your OS?
You (12/16/20 6:29:35 PM GMT): last time i did that the cd didnt work or rather only installed 6.0 and i was given a
download link by this chat to upgrade to 6.14
Somya (12/16/20 6:30:53 PM GMT): It might not work after reinstall.I will suggest you not to unistall it.
You (12/16/20 6:31:16 PM GMT): win 10 its fully up to date ver 20H2last update 9dec
Somya (12/16/20 6:32:09 PM GMT): Lr 6 is too old.It might be not compatible after uninstall.
You (12/16/20 6:33:59 PM GMT): if it does reinstall do I contact you again for the 6.14 update
Somya (12/16/20 6:37:44 PM GMT): yes.
You (12/16/20 6:37:58 PM GMT): ok thanks

I've still got LR6 (CC2015.14, which is the same as the perpetual 6.14 version) installed on my Win10 system, and both face recognition and deleting files work as expected. I've currently got the 2004 version of Win10, which I assume is the version before the one you are using. I know at some point more and more features will start to fail, eventually it will reach the point where I'll have to uninstall and forget about it (I only keep it installed in case I need to check something out in response to a forum question). It sounds as though my next Win10 might be the last hurrah for my LR6 installation....in which case it's also likely that my LR3, 4 & 5 installations (which all still run OK) will have come to the end of the road.

I have LR 6.14 with some 16k photos. I have not accessed the people menu before, but when I try it LR crashes. Am using win10 i5-6500 CPU GeForce GTX 1050 16GB memory all up to date 64bit. any help would be appreciated
This just started happening to me as well but I'm running Mac OS Sierra and Mojave. I mainly use LR on my Mac Mini 2012 with Sierra installed, but when it started crashing I tried it on my MacBook which is running Mojave and same, thing, it crashes. I've been using the People feature for years with no issues. I've re-installed from scratch with no joy. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

No Joy so far.
I contacted Adobe, downloaded the dmg and re-installed from scratch. Still got the same result opening the same catalog file.

Next I tried a SuperDuper backup of my OS drive from 2 years ago, so I booted off of that drive.
Even with the LR application and catalog from 2 years ago, which is is the same environment that I've been using all this time with no issues, it still crashes.

Makes me think that there is some sort of license server/key issue that is just crashing without giving a more friendly message, like "invalid license". If anybody has any ideas, I would be grateful.

Cheers!

Adobe chat told me it is the latest windows update that is not compatible with LR and they do not support it anymore so your on your own mine crashes on import when it is writing the catalogue file.

Adobe chat told me it is the latest windows update that is not compatible with LR and they do not support it anymore so your on your own mine crashes on import when it is writing the catalogue file.
Hi Jon, sorry to hear that about your issue with Windows 10. Although I'm having the same problem, it isn't a Windows update related issue. I am not running Windows 10.

As stated in my previous post, I am running Mac OS on two different machines (Sierra, Mojave). I haven't confirmed the Mojave machine yet but I rolled the Sierra machine back to 2 years ago and it is still crashing. I will try the same for the Mojave machine but I don't expect to see an improvement.

Two things that I found work for me in Windows:
* Set compatibility mode to Windows 8
* Run as Administrator

It's a bit suss that this is happening in both Windows and Mac just now, it screams like a deliberate bug that is designed to go off after a certain date. But maybe it's just our bad luck. It may be worth trying LR 6.13 as well?

Thanks for that I have just run it in win 8 mode not as admin and fingers crossed XXXXXXX it seems to be importing them properly now it is a bit slower but that could mean it is giving the system time to write the data to the catalogue files as that seemed to be the point it crashed I am only importing in batches of 5 file at the moment, as when it did crash if you were importing over ten files you had to reload the program 10 or 20 time before it stopped crashing. plus yesterday i opened another catalogue and it seemed to scew the system up completely I spent half the night geting it back up again used a backup catalogue and deleted everything in the lightroom catalogue folder except lightroom cataloge.Icat. I even used windows file restore to restore my entire My Photos folder to the time before the crash but even that didnt work and just restored the files to the last used time. Again many thanks will keep you posted on how it goes. Wouldnt mind betting that chat at adobe new that and sat there smiling at the thought of another potential subscriber to the LR cloud to which he kept asking me if I wanted. Just removed 160 photos with missing links from catalogue OK . Removing just 1 at a time before crashed it.
John.

Last edited:
Hi Jon, sorry to hear that about your issue with Windows 10. Although I'm having the same problem, it isn't a Windows update related issue. I am not running Windows 10.

As stated in my previous post, I am running Mac OS on two different machines (Sierra, Mojave). I haven't confirmed the Mojave machine yet but I rolled the Sierra machine back to 2 years ago and it is still crashing. I will try the same for the Mojave machine but I don't expect to see an improvement.
Also confirmed my Mojave MacBook Pro is also crashing running off of an 8 month old backup image.

As was mine. I was unable to delete photos that were not on the hard drive, and could not enter People mode. Both resulted in instant crash.

Running in win8 compatibility mode, both issues are gone. Thanks all for your expertise.

Hi all, I have the same problem as described above. Was searching for days already what might be the cause so somewhat happy to read I'm not the only one. Although it's quite annoying. I'm running LR 6 (version 6.2) in Win8 now and for now it looks good. But I suppose we do have to switch to a paid version in not to long a time I suppose...
I thought the problem was I'm not running on version 6.14. Can't seem to update to that version anymore though.
For now fingers crossed. Thanks for all the replies in this tread.

Hi all, I have the same problem as described above. Was searching for days already what might be the cause so somewhat happy to read I'm not the only one. Although it's quite annoying. I'm running LR 6 (version 6.2) in Win8 now and for now it looks good. But I suppose we do have to switch to a paid version in not to long a time I suppose...
I thought the problem was I'm not running on version 6.14. Can't seem to update to that version anymore though.
For now fingers crossed. Thanks for all the replies in this tread.

If you contact Adobe directly, they will provide you with a onetime private link to update to v6.14.

Upgrading beyond that will require a subscription and an upgrade to Win 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Lr chat informed me that as they no longer support lr6 that link is no longer valid, I managed to download it in July last year and as long as you have the registration key it installs as 6.14 and seems to now run on more than two machines I have it running on 4.

Exactamondo.
When opening People View, the system says "No People Found" and crashes. Dell Precision Tower / Win10 / 32 GB memory / 64 bit / Radeon (TM) Pro Wx 5100 Graphics

I've been using the people module for about 4 years now with LR 6.14 and late last year it started crashing the app on the latest Win10. My research tells me that it's due to some licensed code that has expired and because this Adobe product with a perpetual license is no longer supported, the people module will never work again. If you want to use the People facility, you will need to upgrade to the subscription product.

I'm a casual user and there seems to be no inexpensive option available to me. I shall therefore stop using this broken product and write off the £100 or more I paid for my perpetual license. I'll also never buy another Adobe product. Appalling customer support!

I've been using the people module for about 4 years now with LR 6.14 and late last year it started crashing the app on the latest Win10. My research tells me that it's due to some licensed code that has expired and because this Adobe product with a perpetual license is no longer supported, the people module will never work again. If you want to use the People facility, you will need to upgrade to the subscription product.

I'm a casual user and there seems to be no inexpensive option available to me. I shall therefore stop using this broken product and write off the £100 or more I paid for my perpetual license. I'll also never buy another Adobe product. Appalling customer support!
Before you start Lr change the computer date to 1/10/2020 when it has loaded change date back and the people’s menus should work. Do this every time you launch Lr

Before you start Lr change the computer date to 1/10/2020 when it has loaded change date back and the people’s menus should work. Do this every time you launch Lr
Thanks for the tip but I've made my mind up about LR. What's the next thing they pull from the product to force you into paying the subscription? Appalling!

What's the next thing they pull from the product to force you into paying the subscription? Appalling!
Actually, they didn't pull anything from the app. No changes have been made to Lightroom 6 in about four years. Blame Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back