Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR5
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
I have set up LR5 on a new MacBook having changed from Windows 7. I have always kept the photos themselves on an external hard drive to save space, but I have not found a way of saving new photos from my MacBook onto the external drive as I did with my old PC. There is no option to do this when I import photos and no way of dragging files over, or copying and pasting that I can see. This seems strange as I can see and edit all the old photos on the external drive from the MacBook. I really want to get the photos off my MacBook as it is filling up fast.
Any ideas?

You need to give Lightroom "Full Disk Access" on the Mac: System Settings>Privacy & Security>Full Disk Access>add Lightroom to the list of authorised apps.

Thanks. That half works in that the external drive now appears as an option to move or copy to, but in practice when importing I always get the message 'could not copy a file to the suggested location'. There is no explanation. This happens whether I import from the SD card directly or from the Mac.

Post a screenshot of your import dialog, making sure that the Destination panel is expanded.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 15.34.19 2.jpeg

Could I have a screenshot which shows the top part of the Import Dialog as well, and which also shows the destination folder that you have selected. Then perhaps you could also show a screenshot of the actual error message that you get.

Given that the files selected for import appear to be DNG already, perhaps try a "Copy" import instead of a "Copy as DNG" import?

And I assume you are fully aware that Lightroom 5 running under Ventura is totally unsupported by Adobe? It may run, but is likely to be bug-ridden.....I have an old copy still installed on my Ventura system, and it takes about a minute for it to stop flickering on launch!

Could I have a screenshot which shows the top part of the Import Dialog as well, and which also shows the destination folder that you have selected. Then perhaps you could also show a screenshot of the actual error message that you get.

Given that the files selected for import appear to be DNG already, perhaps try a "Copy" import instead of a "Copy as DNG" import?

And I assume you are fully aware that Lightroom 5 running under Ventura is totally unsupported by Adobe? It may run, but is likely to be bug-ridden.....I have an old copy still installed on my Ventura system, and it takes about a minute for it to stop flickering on launch!
It doesn't make any difference whether I copy or copy as DNG. Copy as DNG has never worked. Since the new ORF raw files were introduced LR5 has not been able to convert of read them and I need to use Abode DNG converter before I import.

Ventura is worse than Monterey with LR5. I'm not sure whether I can revert to Monterey without losing a lot of functionality elsewhere.

Thanks for the screenshots, but the one other thing I would like to see is what parent folder you have selected in the Destination panel. Seeing that might offer a clue, but I assume you have confirmed that there's adequate free space on the target drive?

Yes, LR5 on Ventura is worse that Monterey, and you can expect that LR5 on Sonoma might be even worse. I'm afraid that's the risk we take trying to run obsolete application software whilst continuing to keep the operating system current.

The external Samsung drive is 500GB with over 200 GB free, so still plenty of room. I think I'll avoid Sonoma.

I have set up LR5 on a new MacBook having changed from Windows 7. I have always kept the photos themselves on an external hard drive to save space, but I have not found a way of saving new photos from my MacBook
Is the external drive formatted NTFS? Mac Can read but not write the NTFS volumes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it is NTFS. Can I reformat it? Or do I need a new drive?

You can only reformat the drive AFTER copying the contents to another drive (temporarily) as the File Format process erases the contents.

If you want a filesystem that can be used by both Windows and MacOS, then use the FAT32 file system. If only used by MacOS, then use APFS, If only for Windows then NTFS is preferred.

Once you have your data. On a filesystem that MacOS can use, you should have no problems importing to it using Lightroom Once toy have set MacOS permissions for Lightroom as described by Jim Wilde above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have reformatted another external hard drive, which had an exFAT file system option rather than APFS. There was a difficulty importing from the old hard drive to the new one, which I eventually sorted with a combination of Import and Synchronise Folder, and it seems to work OK now, with all the settings saved.
My only other question is the best way to clear my MacBook of the photos. Can I just delete the files from the Mac, or should it be done through LR? Having gone through Synchronise Folder I'm not sure of any effects deleting might have on the photos or catalogue.

My only other question is the best way to clear my MacBook of the photos. Can I just delete the files from the Mac, or should it be done through LR? Having gone through Synchronise Folder I'm not sure of any effects deleting might have on the photos or catalogue.
I don't think you have done this correctly. You should never use the Import process in Lightroom to move already imported images to another disk. And the Synchronize function in Lightroom is just another way to import.

Let's back up to the point where your have a clean EHD formatted as ExFAT. If you still have your Windows computer connect both EHDs to it and use Windows Explorer to copy the folders from the NTFS EHD to the ExFAT EHD. Now Connect the new EHD to your Mac and open Lightroom and then open your master catalog file that you copied from the Windows machine when you transferred all of your user data files to the new computer.

Since Windows is that only operating system to use drive letters, the path field in your catalog to your imported files is going to contain drive letters. Lightroom on the Mac will not understand these drive letters and report the folders in your folder panel as missing. We can fix that. But first, let's get you to that point and you can report back for further instructions.

I don't think you have done this correctly. You should never use the Import process in Lightroom to move already imported images to another disk. And the Synchronize function in Lightroom is just another way to import.

Let's back up to the point where your have a clean EHD formatted as ExFAT. If you still have your Windows computer connect both EHDs to it and use Windows Explorer to copy the folders from the NTFS EHD to the ExFAT EHD. Now Connect the new EHD to your Mac and open Lightroom and then open your master catalog file that you copied from the Windows machine when you transferred all of your user data files to the new computer.

Since Windows is that only operating system to use drive letters, the path field in your catalog to your imported files is going to contain drive letters. Lightroom on the Mac will not understand these drive letters and report the folders in your folder panel as missing. We can fix that. But first, let's get you to that point and you can report back for further instructions.
OK, I have managed to copy over the photos from the NTFS to the ExFAT EHD. My PC kept crashing so there goes seem to be a compatibility problem with the ExFAT system.
I have now opened LR5 in my MacBook and found the new folder in the EHD (called Pictures 2 alongside Pictures). I am not sure what I should do now. It wants me to add the pictures to the catalogue - screenshot. Is this the way to go?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 18.56.37.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 18.56.37.jpeg
    914.1 KB · Views: 28
Hello again,
I'm still wondering if I can just add the pictures in my external drive folder to the catalogue, as shown on the screen above. It seems to be the only option from the position I am now in. Thanks for your trouble.

Back