• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import LR5 develop work stripped during import from external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruxrush

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Did "Add w/o moving" expecting develop work to show but develop history shows "import" only, starting from square one. I assume the LR5 work is still there on the external drive--can I get it to show up in LR Classic?

If you want to use a LR5 catalog in LR Classic, you need to open Classic, and then have Classic open the LR5 catalog. Classic will then create a copy of that catalog and convert it to that version of LR. It will not actually alter your LR5 catalog, and the new Classic catalog it creates will not be backward compatible with LR5. Add w/o moving is used to import images into LR that are not already in the catalog.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thanks! If Classic copies and converts the LR5 catalog, will that transform the already imported photos and give back their history? I would hate to wind up with two copies of each photo, one with and one without... Just want to check before I make a bigger mess!

Thanks! If Classic copies and converts the LR5 catalog, will that transform the already imported photos and give back their history? I would hate to wind up with two copies of each photo, one with and one without... Just want to check before I make a bigger mess!
No. The newly created catalog will be identical to the old LR5 catalog with all of its edits, adjustments and history. The ones that you "added" to a Classic catalog, that I am assuming you created from scratch, will be in a separate catalog from the converted one and it (the one created from scratch) can eventually be deleted (assuming they are all the same images in your LR5 catalog). If this is confusing, let me know and I will give names to each of the catalogs and restate this post.

--Ken

Did "Add w/o moving" expecting develop work to show but develop history shows "import" only, starting from square one. I assume the LR5 work is still there on the external drive--can I get it to show up in LR Classic?
All of the develop history is in the catalog file. Importing with those expectations is never going to grab the develop history. Using the "Import from another catalog" in you Classic catalog will merge the data from the LR5 catalog into the Lightroom Classic catalog.

Thanks for reminding me. I should have remembered that. But now I have another problem: the "preparing to import from catalog" gets stuck, always at the same place (and Lightroom freezes). I tried force quitting Lightroom, I tried restarting the MacBook, but it just does the same thing. What should I try now?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 5.47.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 5.47.40 PM.png
    610.8 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back