• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

LR5 Crash During Import, Catalog lost

Richard Flack

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Something weird yesterday - looking for help. Have been using LR5 without any issues for over a year.
Yesterday doing an import (from external USB drive - my workflow is to use the OS to copy from camera to a USB drive Originals folder), LR suddenly quit (about 1/3 way through 79 JPEG only images). I'm afraid I don't recall the specific message but it was pretty generic. This was after having successfully done several other uploads that day (which were all RAW+JPEG).

I'm running LR5.7.1 64 bit, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit; 1.2 GB free on the target USB drive, the upload in question about 320MB. (After recovery, see below, the images were successfully imported).
The original default catalog was only used when I was getting started; I then set up a new current catalog when I seriously began importing "pre-Lightroom" images along with all new workflow).

On restarting LR it loaded the original default catalog, not the current catalog. When I looked at the Properties of the current catalog it was several days out of date. Luckily I had a backup that was only 1 day out of date; so I created a new catalog and then imported from the backup. I THINK everything (mostly) is Ok.

I have a few questions! (And I apologise for the long explanation).

1. What might have caused LR to crash during the import - how do I guard against this?

2. Im MUCH more concerned about the catalog problem. Im very puzzled as to what happened there. Its as if some kind of 'reset' happened (the pointing to the normal default catalog not the current catalog)
2b. How would the current catalog lose recent changes?

3. Recovering from the back up was fairly easy - once I stopped looking for a "Recover Backup" menu option! (This is the opposite of a rhetorical question... ).

4. It looks like Backups dont save the import target and renaming protocols. I had to recreate those. Is there a way to include that with the backup?

This is a potentially disastrous scenario; I have now changed my LR backup to "each time I exit" (from once a week - all my image and related folders are backed up daily by my backup process independant of LR).

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
With regard to what happened, it would be most helpful to have some clues from the error message(s). If you don't remember them, you might look in the Windows Application and System logs around that time, and see if it logged anything. While it could have been a lightroom specific issue, it could equally be something generic - disk failure (especially with USB drives involved), out of space, protection issues, etc. I realize it shows ample space now, but during processing there are lots of temp/scratch/cache areas in use as well - what's important to the "why" is more "what did Windows think at the time".

With regard to remembering which catalog was in use, some programs (I cannot say LR for sure) save such information when selected, some save it on successful exit instead (i.e. last "good" use). I would not worry so much about why, after an abort, it switched catalogs as....

With respect to the lack of current update as well, I would be suspicious you were really working on the catalog you think you were. It's too late now, but at the time (before opening it with LR again) you could tell for sure by checking modify dates on files. But the fact you both found yourself in an unexpected catalog, and the expected catalog showed lack of recent updates, I would suspect you updated the wrong one pre-crash. Is that possible? Did you check that other catalog to make sure your updates were not there?

Personally I am not a fan of using multiple catalogs, expect where the catalog is used as a vehicle to transport information between separate LR computers. For most peoples' use, one catalog for everything tends to be least confusing and perfectly workable.

As to (4) the presets are kept in files either near your catalog (if you select that option) or in the lightroom install. Neither are included in a normal backup so far as I know, but would be backed up (or should be) when you back up your image data and other OS data, they are not really "in" the catalog (though honestly I have never understood why not -- if Adobe is using a database to save stuff, why not put ALL the stuff in the database).

Richard Flack

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Many thanks. Not quite sure just where to look in the Windows Logs (Win 7) - theres a lot of stuff in there!! Im fairly sure the msg I saw was pretty generic, I think I would have remembered anything specific. Can you give me some pointers? There are several sections in the snap in browser panel.
There have been no hiccups since. What has me a little puzzled is my sense that LR is fairly robust.
You may be right about just when the catalog switched. Anyway that's all good now and I'm doing backups on each exit. I'm really only using one catalog. I suppose I could somehow save the default (with my original learning stuff) and the somehow copy my current catalog back to the default and then contnue using the default, Im just nevous Ill lose something by doing that.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Many thanks. Not quite sure just where to look in the Windows Logs (Win 7) - theres a lot of stuff in there!! Im fairly sure the msg I saw was pretty generic, I think I would have remembered anything specific. Can you give me some pointers? There are several sections in the snap in browser panel.
Under application and system you MIGHT have something logged that is a clue, but there is no real way to find it other than to know when it happened, and find that in the log by date/time. Windows logs SO much junk, many of them that look like errors, that sorting the relevant from the pointless is pretty difficult, even if someone is really familiar. But if you know this happened at 3:52pm +/- 10 minutes, you can browse both logs around that time, look for errors of any sort, read the details and see if any ring a bell. It MAY be possible to tell that time from dates on files if you know around then you copied/saved/changed something that has not been changed since, and look at its mod or create dates in explorer.

If you don't know fairly precisely when you probably cannot find anything useful at this point.

Personally I think you had some mixup in which file moreso than what happened (i.e. a mixup caused more of the issue), and if you have that sorted and know where things are, are backing up, etc. you may not need to worry.

Richard Flack

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
yeah, without some digging im not sure of the *precise* time. and you under state cinsiderably the c**p im seeing in the logs. anyway.
basically youre right i should probably let this go at this point what has me a little nervous is the idea that say a " mixup in the files" would cause what seemed to be a fairly catastrophic abend by LR.
anyway absent hard fCts not much to be done until a recurrance (and next tme id be logging everything like a hawk)
my library is about 5k or 6k imagrs i assume thats peanuts for LR?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
yeah, without some digging im not sure of the *precise* time. and you under state cinsiderably the c**p im seeing in the logs. anyway.
basically youre right i should probably let this go at this point what has me a little nervous is the idea that say a " mixup in the files" would cause what seemed to be a fairly catastrophic abend by LR.
anyway absent hard fCts not much to be done until a recurrance (and next tme id be logging everything like a hawk)
my library is about 5k or 6k imagrs i assume thats peanuts for LR?

yes, 5k is peanuts.

I did not mean that the crash was from a mixup, but the subsequent concern when you found recent changes missing seemed like a catalog mixup. It could be related to the crash, with changes not committed, but ... well, not sure.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
yes, 5k is peanuts.

I did not mean that the crash was from a mixup, but the subsequent concern when you found recent changes missing seemed like a catalog mixup. It could be related to the crash, with changes not committed, but ... well, not sure.

I suspect that in certain crash situations the preferences file gets either wiped or corrupted, the problem then is that on restart the information about last catalog used is contained in the preferences file. So in this situation Lightroom will look for a catalog in the default location....which it found in the OP's case.

Lightroom 6/CC gets around this as it has introduced a separate "Startup Preferences" file, which as the name implies only contains data about recent catalogs....so if the main preferences file gets wiped/corrupted, the data concerning last catalog is separate and thus remains intact.