• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • 18 October 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a new AI-based Masking tools and a new Content-Aware Remove Healing tool, as well as smaller features, new cameras, lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

LR5 Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtnapper

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I just upgraded LR4 to LR5. I am new to LR. I am confused over the catalog. See attached images. Is image LR1.jpg the master, and if so, what are images 2 and 3? I see that LR3.jpg is created on each backup as I exit the program. Is this folder 2013-07-11 1627 something that can be deleted over time as newer versions are created? In the end, when I make a backup of the LR4 Data Bkup folder, which folder(s) in there do I realy want to backup to backup drive? Thanks.
LR1.jpg
LR2.jpg
LR3.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Dirtnapper, welcome to the forum! Sorry we missed your thread.

From what I can see in your LR1.jpg screenshot, LR4-2-3.lrcat is your main working catalog. LR4.lrcat and it's matching previews folder is probably an older one that you could now move to the backups.

LR4-2 Previews.lrdata appears to be orphaned (there's no matching lrcat catalog file) so you can probably delete that one.

LR2.jpg and LR3.jpg are showing your backups. Each time you do a backup, it creates a new folder with the date/time of the backup, so you can tell which is which. 2013-07-11 1627 is a folder that was created by the backup, so yes, over time you can delete the oldest ones of those folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.