LR2 May be too much for my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentj

I ask it to do something hard (like export 4' photos to smugmug) and it tries it's best. The CPU runs at or near 1''% and then after about 4 photos the entire computer just shuts down. No warning. Just *poof* Its off.

I've run Spybot and Ad-aware but I haven't found anything of note. I'm thinking this might be an overheating issue. I cranked up the fans and blew in compressed air to clean out the dust.

I'm hoping this solves it because it won't do me any good if LR2 can't perform basic functions without overheating my computer.

Any other things I could do to improve the performance?

Ooooooh, that's not good! Might be worth putting another fan or two in there - it's no good having a computer that shuts down when you make it work!! :D

I wrote an article early today on speeding up your catalog in Lightroom 2. You can see it here: http://outdoorimages.blogspot.com/2''8/'7/lightroom-tip17-speeding-up-lr-2'.html

Also, I can tell you that I use LR2 on my laptop as well, which is a dual core 2.' mhz pentium with 2gb of memory. All seems to work well. You might want to check and see that your fans are really running. They make some really neat fans that take up a 16bit or pci slot in the back of your pc that can move some serious air through the case. They aren't that expensive and easy to install. You might want to consier that as well.

Best of luck!

LR2 Laggy?

I'm running LR2.' on my MBPro C2Duo and finding some of the features very laggy... esp the new develop modules for grad filters and brush. Anyone else experiencing this or am I just lucky?

brentj;179'2 said:
I ask it to do something hard (like export 4' photos to smugmug) and it tries it's best. The CPU runs at or near 1''% and then after about 4 photos the entire computer just shuts down. No warning. Just *poof* Its off.

I've run Spybot and Ad-aware but I haven't found anything of note. I'm thinking this might be an overheating issue. I cranked up the fans and blew in compressed air to clean out the dust.

I'm hoping this solves it because it won't do me any good if LR2 can't perform basic functions without overheating my computer.

Any other things I could do to improve the performance?

Joshua, reports seem to be all over the map, but I think the theme in general is that LR2 could stand to be 'just a teensy bit faster.' :)
Particularly in the Local Adjustments as you noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back