Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
1.x
Lightroom Version
6.14 perpetual
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Recently I had to restore my catalog, which got me looking at my back-up process. Attached screen shot shows what I think is all the important "stuff." I don't trust my "knowledge" (or more precisely my lack thereof) since experience has proven I sometimes make very dumb mistakes.
  1. If I'm using LR6, why is the latest (I assume) 2-2-2? I simply accepted that nomenclature as it was given, but it seems not-very-intuitive.
  2. I am assuming both the Lightroom 2 & Lightroom 2-2 previews are both from earlier versions & that I can safely delete them.
  3. Am I correct assuming the Lightroom 2 Catalog-2-2-2 Previews.lrdate 8-7-16 date shown is when the latest version was installed?
  4. Assuming again the latest is Lightroom 2 catalog 2-2-2.lrcat, why is there a Lightroom 3 catalog previews folder. It's small & dated 2013, but it confuses me.
  5. Am I correct assuming the Lightroom 2 catalog-2-2-2.lrcat 1-15-21 date shown is only reflects when I last restored LR from a back-up?
  6. The process of writing this note made me realize that I never uninstalled LR 3 & 5. Would simply uninstalling these eliminate these confusing folders? I suppose I should just be brave.

7. 1612769759694.png
Sorry if rambling. I suppose I should know this stuff, but alas... Some clarity would be appreciated.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Each time that Lightroom upgrades the catalog, it makes a copy and adds '-2' to the name. That only changed recently with Lightroom Classic 10.
The fact that your current(?) catalog is called 'Lightroom 2 Catalog-2-2-2.lrcat' means that this catalog has been upgraded three times since you first created it. The previews with just '-2' and '-2-2' should indeed be older previews and can safely be deleted (previews can always safely be deleted anyway, because Lightroom will rebuild them if and when needed).

It's a bit odd that your current catalog is located inside the 'Backups' folder, but no big deal. It probably means that you started from a backup catalog some time ago, and kept using that one. I can't tell you why there is also a 'Lightroom 3 Catalog Previews' and a 'Lightroom Catalog Previews'. You must have created catalogs with these names at one time, but those catalogs seem to be gone, so the previews serve no purpose.

mgolin

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
1.x
Sorry for the delay acknowledging your assistance; life sometimes intrudes... The info for the 2-2-2 has resolved one of LR's little mysteries for me. Thanks again.