• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR update + Spinning Beach Ball of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Robbin

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR 10.4 - the latest verson
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
After updating OS and LR, this happens:
Each time I apply the adjustment brush, the SBBD comes up. This happened before when I upgraded. So I went back to earlier versions of the OS and LR.
Now I'm trying again. I really could use some help with getting rid of the Spinning Beach Ball of Death.
Would making changes somewhere in LR preferences help?
Or try.....?

Updating from which versions?

LrC v10.3 is the latest version. Paul is asking for the version of LrC that you had before you updated.

I would suggest that you disable the use of the GPU in preferences. Out of date and video drivers can present problems such as you are experiencing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the earlier version of LR was 10.1.
I will follow your suggestion about disabling the GPU. ( I don't know what video drivers are. I could google them, I know. But if I can somehow find support somewher on the technical side of things, I can keep my focus on the creative end.)
Thanks.

I believe the earlier version of LR was 10.1.
I will follow your suggestion about disabling the GPU. ( I don't know what video drivers are. I could google them, I know. But if I can somehow find support somewher on the technical side of things, I can keep my focus on the creative end.)
Thanks.

For now, just go to the performance section of Preferences and turn off the use of the GPU. (I believer the default setting is “Auto”). Let’s see if that solves your problem. If it does, then we can help you get the latest video driver installed for your GPU.
(GPU is Graphics Processing Unit)

Thanks. I've turned off the use of the GPU. Later this morning I will use the adjustment brush. See what happens.
BTW, LR will sometimes take a pause after I've taken an action, I perform an LR action, pause, then LR makes the change. As if the computer needs two seconds to think things through.

Yes, I would like your help in getting current video drivers.

Please copy the contents of the {Help}{System Info…} dialog into your next reply. We can see if you have any options.

Since you are running Big Sur, Apple has supplied the latest driver for your video card. If it is an older Mac, it could be the card is not supported.

Is this it?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac17,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 429.120.4.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.33f12
Serial Number (system): C02QKAYUGG7J
Hardware UUID: 5975D2B8-82CF-520B-9AF2-4B356377B122
Provisioning UDID: 5975D2B8-82CF-520B-9AF2-4B356377B122

Not what I was asking for. In Lightroom Classic, go to themHelp Menu item and choose {System Info…}. Copy the contents to the clipboard and paste in your reply here.

Don't get it.
I go to LR.
Go to help on the top
Type in System Info.... nothing
Then System nothing
The System Information nothing

Perhaps someone can help out.

Click on the Help menu item. A sub menu opened and “System Info” is a sub menu item. Click on that and the dialog that opens offers you an option to copy the contents.

Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 11
Version: 11.4.0 [20F71]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.2GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 6,831.5 MB (20.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 26,336.9 MB
Memory cache size: 447.8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.3 [ 807 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 4833MB / 16383MB (29%)
Camera Raw real memory: 4873MB / 32768MB (14%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon R9 M380

Application folder: /Applications/photography/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/lawrencerobbin 1/Pictures/Primary Catalog/Primary Catalog-2-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/lawrencerobbin 1/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) DxO PhotoLab 2
4) DxO PhotoLab 2 Importer
5) DxO PhotoLab 3
6) DxO PhotoLab 3 Importer
7) Facebook
8) Flickr
9) HDR Efex Pro 2
10) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512
AudioDeviceName: $$$/dvaaudiodevice/SystemDefaultAndEffectiveDeviceName=System Default - Built-in Output#{comment}DVAAU-4201250: Open the audio hardware preferences page.
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
Build: LR5x24
CoreImage: true
GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0
GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0
GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0
GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0
GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8
GL_BLUE_BITS: 8
GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24
GL_GREEN_BITS: 8
GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384
GL_RED_BITS: 8
GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon R9 M380 OpenGL Engine
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20
GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_VERSION: 2.1 ATI-4.5.14
OGLEnabled: true
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

You have a 6 year old iMac. With only 4 cores. This could be a problem.

The system info used to test the GPU and report success or failure. I see this have been replaced . The Sys Info used to display the VRAMM. This is useful but no longer in the Sys Info.

I need more info to evaluate your GPU.

You really don’t need the GPU acting as an additional CPU core. The OFF setting may serve you well for the machine that you have.

Thanks for looking into this for me. I appreciate it. I will keep the GPU off.
For future reference, what is a good-enough iMac to have for LR and PS?

Thanks for looking into this for me. I appreciate it. I will keep the GPU off.
For future reference, what is a good-enough iMac to have for LR and PS?

I recently purchased one of the new M1 iMacs. It has 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. I think it quite suitable for both.

I recently purchased one of the new M1 iMacs. It has 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. I think it quite suitable for both.

When you migrated everything over to your new iMac, did you migrate (if that's the right word) both the data and your qpplications?
I ask because I was advised by a Mac IT person to migrate the data but re-install the applications myself. He's thinking, I believe, that the SBBD may have it's root in wrongly installed applications. What are you thoughts on moving data and apps from the old to the new iMac?

When you migrated everything over to your new iMac, did you migrate (if that's the right word) both the data and your qpplications?
I ask because I was advised by a Mac IT person to migrate the data but re-install the applications myself. He's thinking, I believe, that the SBBD may have it's root in wrongly installed applications. What are you thoughts on moving data and apps from the old to the new iMac?
I recommend using the Migration Assistant that is in the Utilities apps folder. This will copy all of your Apps, settings and data. However the Mac IT person may have the idea that there are bad settings with some installed Apps. If you can Identify which App is causing the problem, then Uninstalling and reinstalling that one app would achieve the same result. In your case, I think the problem is more likely caused by hardware and the Hardware drivers. A New Mac will have more recent hardware and drivers associated with the new hardware and you are less likely to see the system hang.

I would still recommend using the Migration Assistant to migrate everything. If you see the same issues, then wipe the new Mac and start over migrating just the user data . It will still be quicker to start with a clean Mac making a second pass because of problems. Macs are not like Microsoft machines in that the App settings are sandboxed and not buried inside some shared registry.

Turning off the GPU worked!
I have followed the chain in your request for assistance, and I must say I am simply amazed at the number of people out there who are willing to help and who can give really helpful advice. This forum seems to be so useful and as a very new user to Lightroom I have already had questions answered that I could find answers no where else. Thanks everyone out there who makes this work. I do not know when the time will come when I can be useful in answering questions but nevertheless I am appreciative.

I recommend using the Migration Assistant that is in the Utilities apps folder. This will copy all of your Apps, settings and data. However the Mac IT person may have the idea that there are bad settings with some installed Apps. If you can Identify which App is causing the problem, then Uninstalling and reinstalling that one app would achieve the same result. In your case, I think the problem is more likely caused by hardware and the Hardware drivers. A New Mac will have more recent hardware and drivers associated with the new hardware and you are less likely to see the system hang.

I would still recommend using the Migration Assistant to migrate everything. If you see the same issues, then wipe the new Mac and start over migrating just the user data . It will still be quicker to start with a clean Mac making a second pass because of problems. Macs are not like Microsoft machines in that the App settings are sandboxed and not buried inside some shared registry.
Thanks for walking me through this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back