• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR to LR Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilgarci

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
A new computer coming in. I want to migrate from Lightroom to Lightroom Classic now that I could handle the latest version. I have the LR plan with 1TB for $9.99' and wantto switch to the LRc plan with 20 GB. My questions are:

1. I know with Classic the photos are stored on my computer and not on the Cloud so I will need less Cloud space. I will now have 160 GB of photos which I would now have on the computer. What remains on The Cloud after I download them all?
2. I know I will not have the same folder structure when I download, just by date. Can't I just recreate my folder structure on my computer beforehand and export each folder individually to the new folder structure?
3. What happens to my photos on the Cloud after I download them?
4. If I take new photos on my phone can I still download them to the Cloud?
5. Will changes in Classic still sync to the cloud?

Thanks!

A new computer coming in. I want to migrate from Lightroom to Lightroom Classic now that I could handle the latest version. I have the LR plan with 1TB for $9.99' and wantto switch to the LRc plan with 20 GB. My questions are:

1. I know with Classic the photos are stored on my computer and not on the Cloud so I will need less Cloud space. I will now have 160 GB of photos which I would now have on the computer. What remains on The Cloud after I download them all?
2. I know I will not have the same folder structure when I download, just by date. Can't I just recreate my folder structure on my computer beforehand and export each folder individually to the new folder structure?
3. What happens to my photos on the Cloud after I download them?
4. If I take new photos on my phone can I still download them to the Cloud?
5. Will changes in Classic still sync to the cloud?

Thanks!

1. Your cloud storage will need to remain with in the new 20GB Limits after you switch. Adobe will give you some time to sync and download full sized images from the cloud along with the metadata and adjustments associated with those cloud images. You will need to install LrC on your computer and turn on Sync to your cloud data. This will store original full size image file in your filesystem . I recommend using the default data name folder scheme to store your image files. (see #2). Your Cloud albums will be transferred as Lightroom Classic Collections.
  2. You never had a "folder structure: in Lightroom (cloudy) your images have always beed stored in a method that is hidden from you. Your album structure will show up as LrC Collections and this is how you will continue to manage and organize your images.
  3. After you sync your Cloud image files to LrC, Adobe will give you a short period of time to delete the image files from the cloud before charging you for the storage above your 20GB Limit Once you have deleted the full-size image files from the cloud, you are free to send smaller Proxy file to the cloud by syncing the Collections back to the cloud. These proxy files have a long edge of 2560px and are suitable for editing and adjusting in the cloud. Any future changes made to these images will be sync'd back to the same full-size image in your Lightroom Classic catalog. These proxy files do not use your 20GB storage plan and you have an unlimited storage capacity for proxy files.
  4. When you take new photos using Lightroom mobile on your phone, these will sync back to LrC full size and be stored locally on your computer. They will take up your plan storage. So, you must manage that 20GB to follow the same process of deleting full size images from your 20GB plan as you did with your whole library in #3.
  5. Changes in Classic will sync to the cloud as described in #3. You need to invoke syncing for each LrC collection that you want to sync to the cloud. You will also have a special collection called "All Synched Photographs" It will contain all of the images found in all of the Synching collections and any that are not in a collection, you can add to this special collection if you want to them to sync to the cloud.

Very clear explanation. Thank you. One last followup question. Will my "folder structure" remain the same on my Ipad regardless of u ow I set up my folder structure on my desktop?
Thanks again for the clear explanation.

We need to be clear what we are talking about in regard to "folders", as they are not the same thing in Lightroom and Lightroom Classic.

In Lightroom Classic, "folders" represent how we have used the file system to organise/store our data on the hard drives. Each folder can contain image files and/or sub-folders, and they are shown in the Folders Panel. When you download images into Classic from the cloud, they will be stored in the drive location that has been set (either a default location or a user-defined location using the Lightroom Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab). Optionally, the user can also opt to use one of the standard LrC capture date-based sub-folder schemes, again using the same Preferences tab. That folder structure is only of use to Classic, Lightroom would be totally unaware of it.

In the Lightroom ecosystem, however, "folders" are optional virtual entities which can be used to organise our albums into specific sets, and thus are not comparable with "folders" in Classic. LrClassic's equivalent to Lightroom "folders" would be "collection sets"....albums in Lightroom automatically appear as collections in Classic, but the corresponding "folders" (Lightroom) and "collection sets" (Classic) do NOT sync to each other. You can, however, setup "folders" and "collection sets" to mimic each other, but that organisation would have to be setup and managed manually. Note however that no matter if the albums and collections sets are not setup the same, the contained albums and collections sets will still stay in sync.

So, when you setup Classic, the "folders" on your iPad will remain, but only the albums will appear as collections in Classic. You can then setup collections sets in Classic to match the folders in Lightroom, or you can not bother....that wouldn't impact the ongoing syncing of the albums and collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back