• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR SLOW TO RESPOND AND IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaA

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am having so many issues with my Adobe products! LR, especially, is problematic. When I click on the LR icon on the task bar, I need to click 5 or 6 times before it actually comes up on the screen. Than it will flicker on and off and take FOREVER before it has completed loading. The Develop module is a nightmare. I will often need to click on a preset or move a slider several times before it actually changes. At first I thought maybe I had a virus, but I don't seem to have problems with my email or web browser. I have a new computer - only 6 months old. I am using Windows 10 and from my invoice these are the particular items in the computer: ASRock Z390 11151 Motherboard, Seasonic 650w Gold PSU, G. Skill 64gb DDR4 RAM, Radeon RX580 8gb Graphics Card. LR Version is 8.4.1.

I don't see what processor you have listed. That would be good to know. To me, having to click on the icon multiple times to launch the program is more of a Windows issue to me than LIghtroom. How do other programs run? And what other programs do you use?

Is Intel i9-9900k CPU the processor? Sorry, when it comes to the technical side of things, I'm not at my best. Photoshop only takes one click. I also use various plugins: Topza products, Flaming Pear, JixiPix, and others. Just can't think of everything right now. Other programs seem to run fine. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the program, maybe?

Well ASRock seems to build some powerful gaming motherboards. There are numerous ones in the Z390 series; ASRock > Support

You didn't mention what your disk configuration is.

Since this looks like a custom build, check that Windows 10 and the device drivers are up to date.

Is Intel i9-9900k CPU the processor? Sorry, when it comes to the technical side of things, I'm not at my best. Photoshop only takes one click. I also use various plugins: Topza products, Flaming Pear, JixiPix, and others. Just can't think of everything right now. Other programs seem to run fine. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the program, maybe?

Yes, i9 is one of the faster Intel processors. Okay, now we are getting somewhere. I'm glad Photoshop is fast and knowing that helps. Next we start looking at the disk type. Or just looking at the setting in LR. Is the GPU enabled in the Performance tab of LR preferences? Probably is on Auto, but whether on Auto or Off, flip it to the other setting and see if that makes a change. I know nothing about that graphics card (GPU) you have so it might be awesome and need the GPU setting on Auto or it might be underpowered and it would be better to have the i9 processor do the work by turning off the GPU.

And as was mentioned, make sure Windows is up to date and maybe update Lightroom 9 while you are at it.

I'd start by uninstalling and then installing 9.0, to rule out a corrupted installation.

I'd also do a clean install of the graphics card driver, direct from the manufacturer.

I'm sorry, but am so confused! How do I confirm that Windows is up to date? If I uninstall and reinstall, will it automatically install 9.0? Will I lose any information (edits, keywords, preferences, etc.) if I do this? How do I do a clean install of the graphics card driver? I apologize that I don't understand some of these things, and unfortunately, don't have anyone else to turn to.

I forgot to add that I did 2 screen shots - one of the preferences tab as it was and one after I switched the GPU setting.

Attachments

• Preferences Tab GPU.PNG
    Preferences Tab GPU.PNG
    220.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Preferences Tab.PNG
    Preferences Tab.PNG
    306.7 KB · Views: 168
Sorry, when it comes to the technical side of things, I'm not at my best
Understood and I sympathize. Windows is not the easiest OS to work with many times.

Is there any chance you could go back to whoever built this computer for you to get help? It may be a system issue that only is evident when running LR. This is one of the reasons we ask about what the disk configuration is.

No chance of going back to this person. After working with him for the last 15 years or so, he went out of business and left the country! Believe me, in the past, that is exactly what I would have done, and I have certainly wished I could do that again with this problem! After switching the GPU setting, it is working better, but I think it could still be improved.

After switching the GPU setting, it is working better, but I think it could still be improved.
Are you running an anti malware app that is resident and sitting between LR and the files that LR is trying to open?

I'm sorry, but am so confused! How do I confirm that Windows is up to date? If I uninstall and reinstall, will it automatically install 9.0? Will I lose any information (edits, keywords, preferences, etc.) if I do this? How do I do a clean install of the graphics card driver? I apologize that I don't understand some of these things, and unfortunately, don't have anyone else to turn to.

Left-click on the windows icon (that thing with four squares usually in the very bottom left of the screen).
Type "winver" (do not type the double quotes, just the six characters)
Winver will popup with an icon and the words "run command" written under it.
Click on the winver icon.
You will get a small window telling you what version of windows you are running.
Screen shot it and put here.
You want "Version 1903" BTW. The numbers after that list the exact patch level you are at.

Right-click on an empty bit of the task bar (usually at the bottom, where the icons of your current programs show up) and select Task Manager.
Click on the Performance tab (near the top)
Click on the memory icon.
Add up the in-use and available numbers, you should have (close to) 64GB. 64GB of DDR4 is heaps of memory to run LR and PS together. How much is free?
Click on the processes tab
Click on CPU (top of the first column), make sure the arrow is pointing down (each click it reverses)
Launch LR (exit it if already running)
Is anything chewing up a lot of CPU as LR launches? It could be LR itself, it could be something else, it could be several.
Launching LR 6.14 peaked at 16% CPU for me.

Report back here.

HTHs

MelissaA, I think it is. Looks like you buy the motherboard then select the CPU. Here's an example and a reference to 1151; ASRock Z390 Extreme4
Melissa,

I can say with 100% confidence that the Intel i9-9900 is the CPU. And reading over the system specifications in your first post, you have a very powerful system overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back