• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR seems to hang for a while on startup, then works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLMaggie

Metadata Geek
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all,

I'm troubleshooting a recent development on my Windows 10 machine and wondered if you might have any idea of what's happening. I've been searching around the Web for solutions but nothing is improving.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro, 1903 (was happening on 1809 too)
LR Classic (just incrementally updated today, problem on both this and previous version)
Core i7 2.70GHz
32GB RAM
256GB SSD Boot drive (LR program, catalog & previews live here), 30% free space
2TB SATA internal secondary drive (all images live here), 60% free space

With security apps disabled, no other apps running, and as many things in the system tray turned off or disabled as I can, I've timed the opening of LR to 17 seconds. The app window opens quickly, but does not populate right away; I get a blue circle for 5-6 seconds while the app title bar says "Not Responding"; if I wait and do nothing, it will unfreeze eventually and from that moment on, it works fine. This happens whether I'm using the native laptop screen or when I'm hooked up to 2 external monitors via a Thunderbolt dock.

I've purged the Camera RAW cache (set to max of 50GB), and have a Previews.lrdata folder of 9.85GB in size. My LR catalog is 824MB, comprised of 21K images. I have no extra Presets loaded. I've been reviewing Adobe's article on Optimizing Performance and ran through the various suggestions. Does anyone have any other ideas to try? This PC has always been a performance beast for my intensive apps (LR, PS, DJ software) so I feel like this is something that should be able to be fixed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

With the update to Classic v8.4 I also have noticed a change in start up.
With previous versions with a long list of folders visible in the Folder panel I would see the folders change from Grey to White incrementally down the list.
With 8.4 I now see a pause for a few seconds then all the folders turn White at the same instant.
So there may have been changes in 8.4 that are affecting the start up.
The change is not significant for me, so not a problem here, but maybe, with use, and a Catalog 'optimize' Startup will get faster.

OK, so it's not just me. I'm seeing the same thing, only it's not a few seconds, the pause lasts more like 5-7 seconds, and I can see that the window title bar does report (Not Responding) for a few seconds during this pause. I'm guessing you are correct, that possibly changes in the latest editions have caused this behavior.

I've optimized my catalog twice in the past week, but neither optimization seems to have affected it. Oh well, it's not a deal breaker but it is annoying...

With the update to Classic v8.4 I also have noticed a change in start up.
With previous versions with a long list of folders visible in the Folder panel I would see the folders change from Grey to White incrementally down the list.
With 8.4 I now see a pause for a few seconds then all the folders turn White at the same instant.
So there may have been changes in 8.4 that are affecting the start up.
The change is not significant for me, so not a problem here, but maybe, with use, and a Catalog 'optimize' Startup will get faster.

I can't believe I didn't see it before, but this was addressed on LR's forum just a few days ago, which means others are seeing the same issue. There are two .db files in the previews.lrdata folder for your catalog - by deleting these two .db files, they are rebuilt by LR upon next opening (leave it open for a few minutes to ensure it completes rebuilding).

My startup went from 17 seconds to just under 10, with no "not responding" interval. Ahh, that's better.

Link to forum post (if it's OK to do so here): https://forums.adobe.com/message/11207229#11207229

Thanks for sharing the link Maggie!

Ugh, I spoke too soon on my own situation. While subsequent launches of LR Classic are speedy enough, the initial one is just as slow as before. Sigh. I thought I had found a workaround. Now, I just get up from my computer and make a cup of tea while I'm waiting for it to open...

Same issue on Windows 10, MacBook Pro works fine for me. It appears that on Windows there are 2 Lightroom splash screens that pop up before it becomes “responsive”, or at least that is what I am seeing

Same catalog on both computers Chris, or different?

Good point, one catalog on each, with mostly same. Basically one (Windows) is probably missing the images taken for the last week... I think the main thing i noticed that surprised me was the 2 Lightroom splash screens on Windows 10 (and storage is Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe). But, your point i 100% valid and i did not think about it!

If you haven't already done so, add that splash screens comment to the bug report, as it may be just the clue they need. It's a weird bug, that one!

I also had the 2 splash screen once, in the first launch after the 8.4 upgrade. However this didn't reproduce and now I only get one splash screen although there is still this hang at startup.

Thanks for the link to the Adobe forum article, Victoria. I tried the newest fix that worked for some there - removing the Logitech Options module & plug-in - and restarted, but it still takes 17+ seconds from the initial click to when I can interact with it. Hmm. I will follow that thread (along with this one) to see what else comes of it...

I wonder if it's related to the faster folder enumeration. Or the GPU checks, perhaps. If it really starts bugging you, it might be easiest to roll back to 8.3.1 temporarily. Or maybe just don't quit too often!

I suspect the second splash replaces the previous empty 2:1 rectangle dialog that appeared for 2-3 dot releases of LR and also Dreamweaver. My presumption was that this was related to licencing, and that they simply fixed the problem in LR by replacing it with the splash screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back