• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR (PS) & Intel I5 11400 v. I7 10700F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epoch

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm not certain hardware queries are allowed here - apologies if not but where I live (South Asia) I have, broadly two Intel CPU choices for an upgrade from an I7 7700k (no o/c):

Intel I5 11400 and the I7 10700F

The price difference is about $5 USD.
In the benchmarks the 11400 actually appears faster overall but I'm most interested in LR performance with regards to active tasks like switching modules and scrolling through tens of thousands of photos.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700F-vs-Intel-Core-i5-11400/m1183814vs4112
I'm only even considering the 7700F due to it's 4.8ghz clock speed and higher core/thread count but it doesn't seem to be as fantastic as it sounds unless one looks at the 'nice to have' section (10700f on the left) but how relevant is this to LR & PS?:
1626099365130.png
The 11400 has the benefit of an IGPU which is a useful fallback if my discrete vga fails.

Points to consider:
-I don't presently use PremierePro but I would like to as time progresses
-The most intensive PS tasks regularly initiated are: applying SilverEfx and Analog Efx filters with a fair bit of HDR work (5-6 photos).
-I work with large print files in LR & PS
-I would soon like to do some light/moderate 3D work in PS & perhaps other software over the coming year.
-LR & PS have use of dedicated Sata SSDs for CamRaw Cache, Scratch Disks and Catalog+Previews.
-All other options save for some 10th Gen I5 options (10500/10600k) are out as the price difference is significant.

Thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

This used to be an easier question than it is now. For a long time most human-wait time issues were best addressed by the fastest single core speed, not overall (cores X speed). With more GPU use, and more parallelism over past versions, it is harder to say which is best.

Personally I'd lean toward the I7 . The single core speed is 14% slower but the two additional cores may over time be more benefit as Adobe continues to improve parallelism. But honestly that's more of a gut feel than something I could support by facts, and most of their parallelism improvements are in background work like preview builds.

Note I have no clue how it plays in video, other than GPU being much more important there (at least in the little video I did, which was not with Adobe products).

This used to be an easier question than it is now. For a long time most human-wait time issues were best addressed by the fastest single core speed, not overall (cores X speed). With more GPU use, and more parallelism over past versions, it is harder to say which is best.

Personally I'd lean toward the I7 . The single core speed is 14% slower but the two additional cores may over time be more benefit as Adobe continues to improve parallelism. But honestly that's more of a gut feel than something I could support by facts, and most of their parallelism improvements are in background work like preview builds.

Note I have no clue how it plays in video, other than GPU being much more important there (at least in the little video I did, which was not with Adobe products).
Ferguson thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. It does seem to be a little bit of a conundrum - my instinct says i7 as well but the iGPU is a bit of a factor as I live in a country going through some severe import restrictions amidst a general shortage of mid-range GPUs. I've been told the onboard graphics would function as well as some older midrangers for LR & PS requirements. Not ideal but it would mean that if my VGA busted I wouldn't have to 'down tools' so to speak. The lower range (available and affordable) GPUs might actually be worse than the 11400 HD graphics (or so I'm told).

TLDR: It appears the 11400 takes the lead as it appears the risk is greater than the gain. But supply & pricing issues are also a factor where I live - others may have better options.

GPU shortages are tough now. I just did a new PC build, and am a bit worried as it's an AMD threadripper so no internal GPU. I had an old GTX970 I planned to replace but... well, haven't managed yet. It certainly is a concern.

<Expletive deleted> cryptominers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back