• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR & PS CC for $10/month, or PS only CC $20/month, what's the logic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnstyle

This just keeps sticking in my craw.

What's the logic of offering the Photo plan with both PS and LR for $10/month, and also offer a PS-only plan for $20/month?

Does anybody get the PS only plan?

This arrangement leaves me wondering how committed Adobe can be to those two plans.

Just wondering if anybody else has made sense of it?

This just keeps sticking in my craw.

What's the logic of offering the Photo plan with both PS and LR for $10/month, and also offer a PS-only plan for $20/month?

Does anybody get the PS only plan?

This arrangement leaves me wondering how committed Adobe can be to those two plans.

Just wondering if anybody else has made sense of it?

Volume Discount? :crazy: Buy more than one and get a whopping discount, well not so much. If that were the case the entire CC package should be around $1 mo. So I have to agree with you, makes no sense.

Well the $20/Month plan is for ANY single app in the Creative Cloud suite. It also includes
  • Behance ProSite portfolio website
  • Typekit desktop and web fonts
  • 20 GB of cloud storage

With the Photography Bundle you only get 2GB of anything storage although LR Mobile is included. While PSCC could be one of the Apps that you choose, more likely you will choose one of the others like InDesign, Illustrator or Dreamweaver etc. Getting two $20/Month plans would get you two apps and still be cheaper than the full plan. One $20/Month app and the Photography Bundle would get you LR, Bridge, PSCC and one other app at $30/mo. Still cheaper than the full plan.

If I were still doing website development, I'd need Dreamweaver and a $20/mo plan would appeal to me. I like to hope that if I needed only PSCC, an Adobe Sales rep would steer me to the Photography Bundle instead of the Single app plan

But what's the logic?

Meaning: if single apps cost $20/month -- then why does the bundle of PS and LR cost $10/month?

And why would people (such as myself) expect Adobe to maintain that plan?

Thanks!

I think the Photography bundle came about because of the noise raised when the CC was first announced. I recall a lot of people posting on various forums, how they disliked this. Then look at how many Enthusiast, Hobbyist have been using LR, but not PS. It could be bundling PS with LR CC at such a low price, is marketing, adding a little more to attract and or keep clients.

I too think the Photographers Bundle came about because Adobe listened to customer, Along about that time they also announced that LR would continue to be priced as a standalone product for the foreseeable future. I was surprised that the bundle price was $10 since the Single app price was already available for PSCC. But I think the key here is the amount of cloud storage available to the Bundle vs the single app.

IF LR or even PSCC/LR were only available for $20/mo I probably would not be a subscriber today

Last edited:
I kind of feel the changes with LR6 "perpetual" represent a "change in the deal" -- the previous copies I've owned didn't require activation, and could be run on as many computers as I wanted. I'm not sure of the details (so I may be wrong here) but my understanding is that with LR6 "perpetual" you now need to go through activation and can only install it on a limited number (2?) computers.

I'm also a PS user dating WAY back to version 1.5 -- but at some point Adobe told me they wouldn't let me upgrade, and that I would have to buy it again -- so I stopped using PS altogether.

So... I'm now thinking about switching to CC (and getting back to PS) but I don't really trust Adobe much.

And the fact that they have PS+LR for $10 or PS alone for $20 -- I do think they're going to put the pinch on the $10 plan, and then I'll be annoyed at myself for getting suckered into their CC plan.

No comment on what's the best thing to do, only you can decide (took me all of 2 seconds to decide when I heard about the deal). But the "could be run on as many computers as I wanted" is possibly one of the reasons the activation model was introduced. The licence agreement for your previous copies specifically limited you to two systems only, and never running Lightroom on both at the same time. But it was not enforced, being based on the "honour system", so guess what happened.....

I kind of feel the changes with LR6 "perpetual" represent a "change in the deal" -- the previous copies I've owned didn't require activation, and could be run on as many computers as I wanted. I'm not sure of the details (so I may be wrong here) but my understanding is that with LR6 "perpetual" you now need to go through activation and can only install it on a limited number (2?) computers....
So... I'm now thinking about switching to CC (and getting back to PS) but I don't really trust Adobe much.

And the fact that they have PS+LR for $10 or PS alone for $20 -- I do think they're going to put the pinch on the $10 plan, and then I'll be annoyed at myself for getting suckered into their CC plan.
No one ever promised the deal would not change, only that LR would be available as a perpetual license for the foreseeable future. LR has always been sold with a license to only 2 computers. If you installed on more than 2 you were breaking the contract that you made with Adobe. So if any one has been breaching the agreement, it is those that have installed on more than 2 machines without paying for additional licenses. Can you blame Adobe for tracking activations?
FWIW Adobe changes their price from $300 to $150. Did you complain about Adobe "changing the deal" then? Product prices will change They are more likely to go up rather than down. The $20 PSCC single app price came first. The Photography bundle was introduced "for a limited time" and Later was extended and extended again of be a CC plan. I expect that at some point it will go up. When it does, I only hope that it is not too much,

You seem defensive -- I gather you read my comment as offensive -- that wasn't my intention.

I'm not complaining -- I'm trying to think through whether I want to switch to getting this software as a subscription -- all other software I've ever owned has been the traditional "perpetual" model.

IMHO, the $10/month deal can reasonably be seen as a bit suspicious:

1) as you noted, they originally called it an "introductory offer" -- that kind of language I'm used to from the cable company -- it automatically leads me to expect more than just an "inflation" type increase. Whenever I'm told that a service has an "introductory price," I immediately want to know the "no-longer-introductory price."

2) they offer PS for $20 and PS + LR for $10 -- IMHO, that just doesn't make sense. It seems to me they're going to have to change one or the other.

And I'm also asking myself: "so, I'm going to now be paying Adobe CC for 40 more YEARS?" -- so I do think it's reasonable to remain suspicious about what they're up to with the pricing.

Anyhow, sorry, I don't mean to come off as fueling some flame war -- I'm just trying to figure out how I feel about this arrangement.

-Scott

Got an annual photo plan for $99 from B&H last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back