• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR plugins disappear from Plugin manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braders

Hey

I seem to be getting repeated behavior where upon start up of LR, and entering the plugin manager, the non-bundled plugins do not appear.

I direct the manager to the folder (which is stored with catalog as per preferences) and individually re-hook them (i real pain).

I can not determine the time frame or the cause (cat backup?), but at some stage they all disappear again and i have to start from scratch.

Where have you stored the non-bundled plug-ins? Are they definitely next to the catalog, as plug-ins can be anywhere. And where's that location - not in Dropbox or anything like that? The same catalog each time? Specific plug-ins or all of them? Which ones? Sorry, this seems to have become 20 questions!

Stored here in the LR settings folder

C:\Users\Brad\Pictures\Lightroom\BradsPrimaryCat2011
Cat.PNG

and the plugins
plugins.PNG

However, there is another area (hidden folder) that contains almost the same folder structure
C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Some of the bundled ones seem to be spread in here.

Sifting thru your book now Victoria..

Ok, question for you - are you keeping the LR presets with the catalog for a specific reason? It's fine if you are, but I've seen it cause a few more complications than it's solved. The AppData folder is the global location which is available to all catalogs, and the Pictures folder is just specific to that catalog.

Ok, question for you - are you keeping the LR presets with the catalog for a specific reason? It's fine if you are, but I've seen it cause a few more complications than it's solved. The AppData folder is the global location which is available to all catalogs, and the Pictures folder is just specific to that catalog.

You ever here the penny actually drop!!!

I trashed that old catalog that was causing adjustment brush and preview issues a few weeks back, and opened a back up catalog.

So, regardless of what calalog i use, open, if everything is in the AppData folder then i should see them regardless.

What are the other issues you see with using the pictures folder?

Yep, you've got it Brad. The other issues I see - people with multiple catalogs saying they've lost their presets, turning that switch in prefs on and off and wondering why their presets disappear, trying to transfer presets with multiple catalogs updated in all of the catalog locations and overwriting the wrong ones, that kind of thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with storing the presets with the catalog, but it confuses people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back