• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR - Photoshop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

donvt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
If I send an image to be edited in PS, when I want to save it PS assigns a file name and it is then in the LR catalog. However sometimes PS asks me to name the file and then it is not in the LR catalog and must be imported. I would prefer to make my own image file names but I do not want to have to import them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This may not solve the issue, but make sure you are running versions of Lr and Ps which are Raw compatible. Better still, make sure you are using the latest versions.

For example, the latest version of Lr contains the following fixes.

upload_2017-1-9_12-17-38.png

If I send an image to be edited in PS, when I want to save it PS assigns a file name and it is then in the LR catalog. However sometimes PS asks me to name the file and then it is not in the LR catalog and must be imported. I would prefer to make my own image file names but I do not want to have to import them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If Photoshop asks you to name a file, it's usually because the file cannot be saved in the present format. For example, you send the file from Lightroom to Photoshop as JPEG (defined in the Lightroom preferences), but you added a layer in Photoshop and JPEG does not support layers.

If you want to save a file from Photoshop with a different name, the easiest method would be to first let Photoshop save it with the default name (so it automatically comes back in Lightroom) and the rename the file in the Lightroom metadata panel.

If you want to save a file from Photoshop with a different name, the easiest method would be to first let Photoshop save it with the default name (so it automatically comes back in Lightroom) and the rename the file in the Lightroom metadata panel.

My experience using Lr and PS on Windows is that if I try to edit a JPG in Ps (from Lr) and add a layer, PS will default to a Psd file format. If I hit the Save button in PS it then is also added to the Lr catalog.

I have a question on how LR auto imports and sorts saved images from PS. I work primarily in layers and up till now in LR5, when flattening then saving an image automatically saved and sorted it to the end of the line. In other words if I am using 3 imaging in layers then the saved image shows up after the 3rd image in sequence. The same for when using 4 images it's saved as the 5th etc. Now with the latest version of CC it is saved before the last image. This totally messes up my workflow since before I could just quickly un flag all the original images and end up with only the flaged edited image which was always the last in line. Now I have to be careful which ones I un-flag since the edited version is in the middle of the group. Is there anyway to control how saved images are sorted. I have been using capture time.

Welcome to the forum. Where an image is sorted in the LR Grid view or filmstrip is entirely dependent upon the sort order chosen for the folder/collection that you are viewing. If the sort order is filename or capture date, the PS derived image will show up in the grid near the last source file. If (as in the case of some special collections, the default sort order is "Added Order". then the PS derived image will show up at the end of the list, For several (all?) versions of LR, I have always had to deal with the PS derived image showing up before the last source image. This is I think primarily because I always sort on Capture time, and the PS derived image will be assigned a capture time of the last image. If the PS derived image file name is based upon the Source image(s) with additional characters added, then Filename sort order will determine whether is sorts before or after the last source image.

When you open an image to external editor , LR auto names the file so in the Ext Editor you select save to have the image appear in LR, If you select Save as your renaming the file, so image would not appear in LR Catalog, but you can select the folder in LR Library and right click or Ctrl click on folder name and select Sync folder to import new images back into LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back