• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerAH

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 10.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Since I upgraded to v10.1 a little while ago, my computer keeps freezing as soon as I try and do anything after I have loaded LR Classic. I run LR Classic on a Win10 computer with an NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 750Ti graphics card (latest drivers installed) and 16 GB RAM. I have resorted to reloading an earlier version (10.0) as a temporary fix. Are there problems with the latest release? Any other ideas? Many thanks.

Hi

Yes, there have been - the last Newsletter covered a number of these. Stay on 10.0 and await the imminent release of 10.2 that addresses many of these.

Updated to V10.2 today - still same problem. LR opens and one of the following happens - small magnifying symbol appears, but Not Responding then shows; trying to switch from Loupe to Grid view, but Not responding shows; no small image top left, then Not Responding appears. All very frustrating! Switched back to V10 again and after three goes, including loging in via Creative Cloud, I have got the grid view back. Have down loaded the latest driver for my NVidia card (GTX 750 Ti), but that is dated 2015 and only supports DirectX 11.2. Any more suggestions will be welcomed.

I've had exactly this for ages, on my desktop and laptop.

I've got around this using the following...

Once you have tried to open LR and it comes up "not responding" right click on the LR icon in toolbar at bottom of screen and select the catalogue you want to use by left click on it, normally after 10-15 seconds LR is fully functional.

Stuart

Can you guys try 2 things for me please:

1. Open the CC app and try opening Lightroom from there - do you still see the same issue?
2. Quit Lightroom in Develop view and then reopen - do you still see the same issue?

Hi Victoria - very many thanks for getting back to me and Stu.
I rarely use LR CC, but this seems to open OK.
By chance I had left LR Classic last night having been developing an image and have just tried to open and (background cheers) it opened and seems OK. I always close LR using the backup/test integrity option boxes all ticked. I would love to know what might be going on and, even more importantly, how I can safely upgrade again to V10.2 - or should I leave well alone, given that a temporary work round seems to allow me access to my images? But this is not a long-term solution. Any ideas welcome.

By chance I had left LR Classic last night having been developing an image and have just tried to open and (background cheers) it opened and seems OK.

Yep, not a long term solution, just I saw another similar report a few minutes earlier! I suspect a bug, can I get you to post and "like" this bug report if that same workaround works for you: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...angs-ver-101-and-102/605147870b717d0e53b4206f

The same workaround seems to work in 10.2 so I'd upgrade.

PS - LR CC is the latest version, whereas I have reverted to V10 of LR Classic for now.

If I upgrade I am concerned that I it will open in the Library grid mode and I could get "locked out" again. I will have to try and remember which of my various attempts to open LR workednand allowed me to switch to the develop mode. Thinking cap on - or more trial and error.

Last edited:
Can you guys try 2 things for me please:

1. Open the CC app and try opening Lightroom from there - do you still see the same issue?
2. Quit Lightroom in Develop view and then reopen - do you still see the same issue?
If this is the same problem that I've been wrestling with this morning on my Win10 system, using v10.2, I found that opening from the CC app doesn't prevent the problem, but opening into the Develop module does. The problem with that is having to remember to always ensure you're in Develop when quitting LrC.
The best workaround for me was to simply wait until the hang is evident, then switch the system focus to a different app (such as Outlook). That seems to "prod" LrC into life within a few seconds.

PS - LR CC is the latest version, whereas I have reverted to V10 of LR Classic for now.
There isn't an LRCC app any more, it's called simply Lightroom now. And that isn't what Victoria wanted you to try, she was saying to open the Creative Cloud desktop app, bring up the list of installed apps, and click on the "Open" button alongside the entry for Lightroom Classic.

Hi - I closed V10 in Develop mode and then upgraded to V10.2. This opened in Develop mode and all seems well on a superficial look. I have closed and reopened twice and each time it opened in Develop mode. I will report back if I experience and new problems, but so far so good. Provided I remember to exit in Develop mode, hopefully all will be well. I have reported the outcome on the Photoshop feedback site as you requested. Here's looking forward to V10.3! Victoria - very many thanks for your time with this issue - very much appreciated. Now I must rename my catalogue - 2016 MASTER V3-2-2-v10 is ridiculous - must find the right pages in The Missing FAQ and back everything up to start with.

Now I must rename my catalogue - 2016 MASTER V3-2-2-v10 is ridiculous - must find the right pages in The Missing FAQ and back everything up to start with.
Page 440, 2nd edition. And yes, sounds a great idea!

One thing would be interesting to know from any of you having this problem: do you have a "LogiOptions" plug-in installed in LrC (do File>Plug-in Manager to see if it appears in the list)? If you do have it installed, disable it then try restarting LrC into the Library module to see if that works. Having done that on my WIn10 system, all seems good again.

If you don't have that plug-in installed, it still might be worth disabling all plug-ins to see if that works. If it does, it would be a process of elimination to try to find the culprit. Of course, it shouldn't be happening so the onus would still be on the Adobe team to develop a fix, but this might provide a reasonable workaround in the meantime.

I do have LogicOptions on all my PC's, but there are no plugins of any type in Lightroom
None at all? That's quite unusual, there are usually some standard Adobe plug-ins installed and enabled.

Have you checked what IS installed via File>Plug-in Manager? The LogiOptions plug-in is silently installed by the Logitech software, the user is usually unaware.

And have you tried temporarily disabling those to see if that makes a difference on startup?

OK, I've just disabled all of them and tried twice, first time was ok, second it took a lot longer to load and become usable but no unresponding message.

I then enabled LogiOptions and tried it, failed first time, closed it down and re opened straight away and it was ok. Left it closed 15 minutes and relaunched and it came up not responding, all very strange. It seems to throw the error up more times if it is closed down and left longer.

Over the next few days I will keep all the plugins disabled and see what happens. All tests will be done when closed down in grid view as that is my normal procedure.

Stu

A quick report back, I disabled both Adobe Stock and Aperture/iPhoto Import and have not had any issues for the last couple of days. This is also closing down within grid mode.

It did surprise me as the one that I had read about causing most problems was the LogicOptions, but not having it running in the first place threw me a bit.

I will continue to monitor it, but for now all seems good.

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back