• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR--Missing back up dialog box on quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talia

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I recently created a new LR cataloge. Unlike my two other catalogues, when I quit this one I do not get the usual "Back Up Catalog" dialogue box. Instead the catalogue just quits (without creating a back up anywhere on my computer), despite having set the back up option to "Every time Lightroom closes" . I have tried closing this catalogue with the external drive plugged into both my laptop and desktop computers and the behaviour is the same--no dialogue box for backing up and testing the integrity and optimising .

As far as I can tell, my preferences in this new catalogue are identical to those set in my two other catalogues.

I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this problem or any work around.

Thank you

Go into the "General" tab of the "Catalog Preferences" and select "Every time Lightroom Exits" in the backups section.

Thanks. I have already selected this, which is why the lack of the back-up dialogue box is so perplexing.

oops, sorry, read your post too quickly. My bad.

I have not encountered this issue. Here's what I'd try (you may have already done some or all of this). These are all shots in the dark.

1) try quitting LR in a different manner. If you're clicking the red dot (mac) or "X" (windows) on the application window title bar icon try using clicking on the "Lightroom" icon also on the title bar and selecting "Close" or vice-versa.

2) turn off 2nd display if it's on

3) Does LR actually exit right away when you tell it to or do you have to hit the enter key an extra time. If you have to hit enter again, that suggests the dialog box is displayed someplace you can't see it. Maybe it's off screen? Could be a that the backup dialog box is appearing outside the screen boundaries of your display. See if you get any scroll bars on your monitor that allow you to see more real estate. Also perhaps, increase the screen resolution to it's max for your monitor which will show more territory and may show the box it it's off screen

4) maybe the dialog box is hidden behind something else. Down any other apps you may have running and if you can still see the LR screen down it as well and see if the exit dialog box is hiding behind something.

5) reboot computer if you haven't already tried this. After reboot close all other apps, browsers, etc. Then open LR and close it.

As I said, all shots in the dark but maybe something will come from it.

Not a problem. And thank you for all of these great thoughts. LR does exit immediately so I don't think the dialogue box is obscured. My latest thinking is that the catalogue might be corrupted and am trying to see what solutions are available f this is the case.

If you or anyone has any more thoughts about the dailogue box issue, I am all ears.

A long shot, but try changing that pop-up to Next Time LR Quits and then quit to see if it shows up.

Good thought! I tried doing that and still no back up dialogue box.

I also tried creating a new catalogue, testing it to make sure that it backs up properly and then importing the older (problematic) catalogue into this. I was not able to complete the import. The Import from Catalog dialog box with "Preparing to import from Catalog. Creating a temporary working copy of catalog" popped up, but the progress bar just stalled...no movement even though I left everything running for hours!

Any suggestions of how to salvage this catalogue? (The only back ups I have were all manually created and have the same issue--not backing up on Quit.)

A quick update...I managed to salvage my catalogue. I exported it and now when I quite the the newly exported catalogue, the appropriate dialogue box pops up and a back up is created.

Oh that's good. What a strange problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back