• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Just a quick head's up - we'll be moving to a new server on Wednesday 20th November around 2:30PM GMT. There should be very little downtime, but it may take your DNS servers up to 72 hours to update (although you can clear them manually).

LR-Maintaining Links After Replacing HDDs

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
First a brief description of what I've done. I just replaced my primary HDD (mechanical) with a SSD. FWIW I also added an additional internal SSD (500GB). So I now have 3-internal drives, 2-SSD, 1-my old system drive. I used Acronis (freebie version for Crucial), to clone my new SSD. Key points here:
  • I've always maintained 2 yrs of photos on my primary HDD. These are ones that I work on or may revisit for whatever reasons. All others have been archived/moved to one of my external HDD. I have 4 of them. 1-for backup purposes, 1-For video (home) covering a couple of decades, 1-Archiving Photos, and 1-Portable (small Passport).
  • Anytime (except now) I archived photos, it was done from within LR.
  • I copied outside of LR, all the photos from my archive drive (M) back to my Primary drive (C) prior to cloning. Why you ask? Because my archive drive (M) decided to throw a fit at this time. The file/folder structure stayed identical, absent the "Pictures" name used on my primary drive. On my archive drive (M), I used Photographs as my Parent folder.
My main question is about the reference LR holds to those photos on my M: (archive). I want to use the Update folder location, to point LR to what's going to be my new Archive drive, which is my old primary drive. I've tried this and so far all LR has done is see a folder, not any of the sub-folders or photos in them. My old system drive and current system drive have little free space left due to having to rescue photos from my archive drive, {it's a Seagate, never again). Since my old system drive has the OS files/folders on it, windows will not let me just delete everything except the photographs. I guess I have to reformat it, then move all the photos to it afterwards. I don't want to try moving this huge volume in LR. I think it's too risky for LR to handle over 600GBs.

Click on Image to enlarge

LR-Folders.png

So how do I get LR to see the new location?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Getting this Confirmation dialog is what's concerning to me. Should I agree? Will that just point LR to the folder I want? Or will end up with duplicate files?
MergeConfirm.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Ok, thank you.