• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Import not showing previews of RAW files

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkhasson

Has anyone run into this problem? Trying to import from my Canon D35', none of my RAW photos are showing up in the import preview window.

Thanks for any guidance!

Presumably you have the Show Preview box checked?

What result do you get if you use a card reader. (understand you may not have one if you are connecting direct to camera)

Are you able to download the images via Canon image browser utility?

If on a mac are you able to download using Image Capture utility?

Finally, some answers for you guys

Gentlemen,
Thanks so much for the replies. Apologies for the delay in responding. I've been searching high and low for my card reader to test your suggestions.

Ripit:
  • Yes, show previews is checked
  • Using a card reader, LR 1.3.1 correctly renders the previews before download of both JPG and RAW files
  • Using the Canon image browser utility, I can download the images and I can see the correct previews before downloading, both JPG and RAW
  • Not on a Mac (see updated signature below)
Mark:
  • Yes, I thought about this, but since Canon image browser corrected renders the previews and LR 1.3.1 doesn't, it sounds like a LR problem. If I remember correctly, LR 1.2 did show the previews correctly.
Thanks guys. Your insight is greatly appreciated. I know I could just use the Canon utility, or the card reader, and then import the libraries, but I'd love to cut out some middle steps and download directly from the camera into the LR libraries.

Trying to import from my Canon D35', none of my RAW photos are showing up in the import preview window.

Can you explain exactly what you do see on the import dialog please? I'm interested to know whether the directory structure on the card in the camera shows up and how it is displayed. IIRC, the 35'D creates a new directory on the card for every 1'' photos so perhaps Lightroom isn't drilling down deep enough to find them?

I'm interested to know whether the directory structure on the card in the camera shows up and how it is displayed. IIRC, the 35'D creates a new directory on the card for every 1'' photos so perhaps Lightroom isn't drilling down deep enough to find them?

You are correct in the directory structure. When I try to view the thumbnail previews in LR, it sorts them by date, which I want but doesn't show the thumbnail picture. When I use the card reader, the directory structure is the same (1'' pictures per directory), but the import previewer does render the thumbnails correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

When I try to view the thumbnail previews in LR, it sorts them by date, which I want but doesn't show the thumbnail picture.

Do you get grey thumbnail squares with no photo rendered or no thumbnail squares at all in the preview pane?

If you get grey squares then going back to Mark's comment, do you have a monitor profile installed? It could conceivably be corrupt or Lightroom just doesn't like it in this situation. It it probably best not to assume that if it works in X it must work in Y.

Thanks folks!

Mick: I do get gray thumbnail squares in the the preview pane. However, no monitor profile is installed.

Melissa: I am not seeing previews in the import dialog box only. Library works fine.

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem but only from my Canon 4'D. All my other Canons are showing the previews correctly.

Halina

I'm having the same problem but only from my Canon 4'D. All my other Canons are showing the previews correctly.

Halina
Halina can you please fill in your signature (in the UserCP top left of this page). I am interested to see if you have a monitor profile issue as well also. It may be something else though - Canon related.

Not much action on this thread recently. Anyone figured out what's happening here? Based on this and a few other similar threads, the problem seems to be common to some Canon cameras.

I have a canon 3'D and I've had the same problem with the import previews just showing up as gray squares. I now use the card reader in my HP printer and the previews appear fine.

issue with some canon cameras not showing previews if using lr 1.2 the previews show but in 1.3.1 they do no only seems to affect canon cameras, what compression you use on the CR2 files?

Hi,

Just thought that I would help by adding that I have a canon 4''d and I only see grey squares also instead of picture previews in the import dialogue box.

My other problem is that my jpgs are upside down. (only in the import dialogue box preview).

Everything is fine if I import the photos using the canon eos utility program and then "import from disk" although this is very time consuming because of the doubling up.

my 20cents

I am facing the exact problem, Lightroom's import from device doesnt import RAW files.

I have installed Canon Camera WIA Driver (5.6.') only (no EOS Utility or DPP). Now when I connect the camera through the USB and browse it using Windows File Explorer, I dont see any .CR2 files. I even did a search on ALL directories and all that I found was .JPG!!

Now you might say that I didnt shoot any RAW shots, hence there are none. Well to make sure, I shot a RAW shot and saw it in the review screen on my camera, yet I couldnt find it on through Explorer.

The bottom line is, I don't think that this is a problem with Lightroom, it's a problem with Canon's driver. Seems that the only way to pull off those RAW files is through "EOS Utility"

Nice summary Korayem.

The bottom line is, I don't think that this is a problem with Lightroom, it's a problem with Canon's driver. Seems that the only way to pull off those RAW files is through "EOS Utility"

... or using a card reader.

Same Problem with a Nikon D300

I do have the same problem, just seeing grey Boxes instaed of Thumbnails, with a Nikon D3''.

It only occurs when I try to import directly from the camera, copied to the harddisk and importing from there works fine

Thanks
Ralph

All Images are gray boxes

I could not use Ligthroom at all. All the images, preview, filmstrip, import, develop; everything was just a gray box.

I'm working on a Windows XP system. I tried Lightroom 1.1 and 1.3. I tried JPEG from a Canon 5D and SD8'', from both disk and card reader. I tried CR2 images from the 5D. All I saw were gray boxes, even in the import dialog with Preview checked.

I do not have any Canon drivers installed on this particular PC.

The full Adobe CS Professional suite works just fine with all these images.

I went into the Windows Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Color Management and found it was set to a profile for the NEC monitor that is installed on the PC. I tried to remove that profile but it wouldn't let me do it. So I added the ProPhoto profile and set it as the default. Then I restarted Lightroom and all the images were visable.

Ralph and Paula, welcome to the forum.

Please take a moment to fill in your signatures in the UserCP (top left of the page).
This will help immensely in isolating your problems - thank you.;)

I do have the same problem, just seeing grey Boxes instaed of Thumbnails, with a Nikon D3''.

It only occurs when I try to import directly from the camera, copied to the harddisk and importing from there works fine

Thanks
Ralph

We need to know your set up to give specific advice.

I could not use Ligthroom at all. All the images, preview, filmstrip, import, develop; everything was just a gray box.

I'm working on a Windows XP system. I tried Lightroom 1.1 and 1.3. I tried JPEG from a Canon 5D and SD8'', from both disk and card reader. I tried CR2 images from the 5D. All I saw were gray boxes, even in the import dialog with Preview checked.

I do not have any Canon drivers installed on this particular PC.

The full Adobe CS Professional suite works just fine with all these images.

I went into the Windows Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Color Management and found it was set to a profile for the NEC monitor that is installed on the PC. I tried to remove that profile but it wouldn't let me do it. So I added the ProPhoto profile and set it as the default. Then I restarted Lightroom and all the images were visable.

Are you calibrating your monitor Paula??

Are you calibrating your monitor Paula??

Not at this time. The work I'm doing right now doesn't require calibrated color rendering at my workstation. However I'll need it some time down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back