• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR has become corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

tineketover

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have a very serious problem with LR and my recent changes in the set up. I have used LR for about 24 years.

Currently I have a 2TB 2021 iMac. To this I recently added a 2TB Samsung drive and a 2 TB LaCie drive, as space in my iMac was decreasing. The purpose of the Samsung is for developing and storing LR data (raw). The LaCie is for backup of jpegs and many documents. It appears that the system became corrupted. Both drives are properly formatted. On June 19, my Apple SSD had 352 Gb available; yesterday (June 20) it had no Gb available, even though no changes were made during that time. Using Finder, I have been looking to see what is going on. Currently, LR settings cannot be assessed through Navigator, thus I cannot send pictures of what is going on. I cannot access the help menu on LR 5

Is it all corrupt? I am very worried.

I have a very serious problem with LR and my recent changes in the set up. I have used LR for about 24 years.

Currently I have a 2TB 2021 iMac. To this I recently added a 2TB Samsung drive and a 2 TB LaCie drive, as space in my iMac was decreasing. The purpose of the Samsung is for developing and storing LR data (raw). The LaCie is for backup of jpegs and many documents. It appears that the system became corrupted. Both drives are properly formatted. On June 19, my Apple SSD had 352 Gb available; yesterday (June 20) it had no Gb available, even though no changes were made during that time. Using Finder, I have been looking to see what is going on. Currently, LR settings cannot be assessed through Navigator, thus I cannot send pictures of what is going on. I cannot access the help menu on LR 5

Is it all corrupt? I am very worried.

Considering that Lightroom 1.0 was released 15 years ago, your 24 history is remarkable ;-)

Almost all apps use the free space for working storage. Apps including Lightroom Classic create temporary files in working storage. Some apps are better behaved and release their share of working storage when no longer needed. Others release their working storage when the program exits. Close all of your programs and then reboot your MacOS. This initial state should tell you how much free space is available for working storage. For good performance it should be at least 100GB. If not, the you need to move some data file to another disk to free up working storage for LrC and your other apps.

Considering that you are running a very obsolete version of Lightroom, you are running on “thin ice”. LR5.7.1 has not been supported or updated for many years. The current version is Lightroom Classic v11.x. There have been a great many performance enhancements, Improvements, bug fixes and memory leaks quashed since your version.

Once you reboot and recover your freespace to an acceptable performance level, let us know if LR5.7.1 is back to running as expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And also note- You cannot install Lightroom Version 5.7.1 (Perpetual) in macOS 12 Monterey.
The 32bit installer will not work with 64bit macOS.

And also note- You cannot install Lightroom Version 5.7.1 (Perpetual) in macOS 12 Monterey.

But you can upgrade an existing OS to Monterrey and continue to use Lightroom 5.7.1 if it was previously installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob, I did recently install my old copy of 5.7 on my Mac system running Monterey, with no issues. Johan's thinking was that the bit of the installer that is 32-bit only is the online license verification, which didn't appear until LR6. That would explain why LR5 can be installed on later Mac operating systems, but LR6 can't.

Thanks for your responses. Yes, after re-opening, my iMac currently has 479 GB free space. The Samsung HD intended for photography has 1.2TB, and the LaCie hard drive has 1.99 TB.

And yes, I had been working with earlier software, before LR came out and I switched over when LR arrived.

At the moment, I am re-organizing my LR files and folders with regard to the various new drives. The 2 TB Samsung external drive will be dedicated to photography. I will store (most recent on top) all my NEFs and other Raw files there, sorted by date/country or city, family, as well as other metadata, such as ‘nature. ‘

The Sandisk, located in my Nikon D 810, captures two separate folders; raw data and jpegs. Of these the raw data will go to the Samsung drive and the additional non-active JPGS will be stored on the LaCie drive (meant to be non-active; just in case there is a loss (fire etc).

On occasion, I may also receive photos from visiting relatives; these could be NEFs, DNGs, TIFS as well as JPGS. Such additional JPGS are considered active; they have been stored with similar metadata on the Samsung. Thus, all of my active (processed) files are in the same database, stored in the Samsung drive and nothing happens to the inactive JPGS stored in the La Cie drive.

When I recently started to move the photography folders from the iMac drive to the external Samsung drive something went wrong. As a result, I now have a mess, with many missing folders. I am not sure whether I completed the process. When I scrolled through older LR photos, I found that there were many 'missing files' but some changed to 'not missing'. Could I have damaged the latest backup folder? My saved backups go back to 2013 (The majority will be deleted once the problem is solved). From the history, I note that the last import was in 2013-03-22; this does not seems odd.

Would you be able to guide me through the steps to fix this? I am concerned that I may do further damage, if I tackle this alone.

As well, could you send me the free books. I have not seen them in the Downloads folder yet.

Tineketover (rather than Kuiper10)
T. Kuiper
[email protected]

could you send me the free books. I have not seen them in the Downloads folder yet.

Just select Downloads in the menubar at the top of this page and you'll be able to download them from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back