• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR files don't open in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobweder

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Today I updated to LR 8.2 (build 1204643) and Photoshop 20.0.3. Ever since the update, photos within Lightroom won't open in Photoshop (via CMD E or Photo -> Edit In). Photoshop will launch, but the photo doesn't open. I don't get any error message. In the "recent files" window within Photoshop (or via File -> Open Recent), double clicking on some of the files (all which originated within Lightroom) will open. Others won't open, yielding the error message "file not found". The files are seen by Lightroom and are editable by Lightroom.

Next, I tried using a different catalog containing files I rarely use. The catalog had to be updated from a release of LR that was at least 2 years old. All the files showed as "missing". I used the "locate" feature to find one of the folders. After that, files added back would open in Photoshop via CMD E. I switched back to my main catalog; the problem remains.

Using Mac OS 10.14.3 on

I've:
  • Removed the LR and PS preferences.
  • Rebooted a bazillion times
  • Saved/Optimized the LR database

Please, someone, send Lassie to help me! //Bob

Jim...thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

YES, all my files are on a NAS. After 5 minutes of experimenting, I determined that the issue only occurs with RAW files (Canon, in my case). I don't have any issues with TIFF or JPG files.

I'll downgrade to ACR 11.1 and report back.

Jim, downgrading to ACR 11.1 fixed my issue. I get an alert message in LR prior to the file opening in PS. It gives me the option to "open anyway" or "render using Lightroom". Any idea if either approach has a benefit over the other?

When you use the "Edit in PS" function, and LR and ACR are at the same level, LR passes the original file and the edit metadata to ACR which silently does the raw conversion before handing off the rendered date to PS. That data is held in the system cache and only gets written to a new PSD or Tiff file when you "save" in PS. The only time problems can arise is when new develop functions are added to Lightroom and Camera Raw (e.g. Dehaze) in the last update and have been applied in Lightroom. If Camera Raw is back level, it wouldn't be able to understand those particular edits, so they would be ignored. However, because LR and ACR are not at the same level, LR detects this and gives you the option to "Render using Lightroom" or "Open Anyway". Obviously the latter would ignore any edits if they are from a function that doesn't exist in the current back-level version, but "Render using Lightroom" allows you to have LR do the rendering, thus preserving the effect of all the edits, before passing the rendered file to PS.....the downside of this is that the PSD/Tiff is created on disk immediately in LR, thus you'd need to delete it afterwards if you don't subsequently make any changes in PS.

But as there were no develop changes in this update, you should be OK to use "Open Anyway".

A workaround (temporary)

For Classic:
Select multiple images (instead of one) - Edit in PS
CC is not affected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back