• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR exported images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braders

Seem to be having issues with exported jpegs (low rez) images not being seen on an iPad or other cameras. When i place the SD card into an iPad there are no images to import and any camera i have, there are no images to display?

I would first try mimicking the standard card format of using a top-level folder of DCIM and putting your images in a sub-folder within.

FWIW I have never synced exported images from Lightroom to iPad in this manner and I am not sure why you are doing it this way. I have i-Tunes set to import photos from a folder and have LR export to that folder via a Publish Collection.

I would first try mimicking the standard card format of using a top-level folder of DCIM and putting your images in a sub-folder within.

FWIW I have never synced exported images from Lightroom to iPad in this manner and I am not sure why you are doing it this way. I have i-Tunes set to import photos from a folder and have LR export to that folder via a Publish Collection.

I don't have itunes (actually, ,i don't own an apple product:grin:). Mother in laws iPad and her computer isn't with us at this time. I did mimick the folder structure.

Initially i thought it was an iPad thing but the images are not seen on 3 other cameras of mine either.

Brad,

I know that with my Nikons, I can't use the computer to write an image to a card and have the camera read it. That failure to read is a property of the camera, not the image.

I don't know enough about the iPad to say much, but does it treat the SD card as a disk or as a place to store images? I'd expect the former to work for you and the latter to maybe not.

Hal

Mimicking the DCIM structure may also include building an index file and other folders (I think this is especially true for Canon.) For the iPad I think you require a Camera Connector to read SD cards. SD comes in three flavors: SD for reading SD cards that are less than 4GB, SDHC which is required for cards up to 2TB and SDXC which is a newer standard improving on SDHC. I do not know which SD format the Apple Camera Connector is but it should be able to read standard <4GB SD cards as long as they are formatted FAT32. You do not need a special DCIM folder structure.

I don't have itunes (actually, ,i don't own an apple product:grin:). Mother in laws iPad and her computer isn't with us at this time. I did mimick the folder structure.

Initially i thought it was an iPad thing but the images are not seen on 3 other cameras of mine either.

Just get iTunes or maybe that's too easy!!:sneaky:

Just get iTunes or maybe that's too easy!!:sneaky:

I can understand anybody not wanting to use iTunes on Windows, although I think there's no intelligent way around it if you own an iPhone/iPad.

Beat

Perhaps Brader's Mother-in-Law is like my 91 y.o Father-in-Law. For him the iPad is his only computer.

Although it is about to change, currently if you own an iPad, the only way to get iOS updates is to sync with iTunes on a Mac or a PC.

Perhaps Brader's Mother-in-Law is like my 91 y.o Father-in-Law. For him the iPad is his only computer.

Although it is about to change, currently if you own an iPad, the only way to get iOS updates is to sync with iTunes on a Mac or a PC.

Precisely. When the wife and I leave, moma is only going to have the ipad.

I am quite suprised as to how impossible (without a computer - which i thought was Apples point?) it is to import and organise images in the iPad. I thought htis thing was 'new sliced bread'.

Does she have internet access? Uploading them to something like Dropbox and then downloading to her iPad could be an easy workaround.

Dropbox, Flickr, Smugmug.....anything like that would work, though of course you'd need an app on the iPad that would give you access to the particular service you use. WidePhotoViewer would give you access to any of these, as well as the Photos library. For a Flickr service I really like FlickStackr...

The advantage of doing it this way is that (once setup) it's all done remotely, no need to access the iPad at all....update your libraries and the MiL can simply view or download the new photos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back