• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR EXIF MAKER NOTES Metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I was loading pictures into LR CLASSIC and assigning PICK/REJECT flags. I came across one image and thought it looked like auto focus was turned off. I went looking in LR's METADATA and couldn't find anything related to my Nikon's auto focus setting. I then reviewed the MAKER NOTES for the NEF file using EXIFTOOL (GUI) and could see my camera was set to AF-C.

Looking through the net I came across this link which suggests that Adobe products do not handle MAKER metadata and exclude them on exports. I just tested this with an export of a NEF file to TIF and all the MAKER notes are lost.

So, does anyone know why Adobe feels it necessary to throw away MAKER metadata?

I doubt any of us do. Do you have a need for Maker Notes to be included in an exported file?

Hal, I'm not sure in the long run.

When initially reviewing images, any piece of information can help understand why a picture did not turn out the way I thought it should. For example, there is a plugin that will show the focus point selected in an image. I assume that this uses MAKER information.

Since LR now recognizes iPhone dual (or 3) lenses, I assume it also must use MAKER information.

Post processing, MAKER info is likely not that important. I guess I'm just upset Adobe would decide it is not important to pass through on exports.

I broadly agree with you, but all of this MakerNote information is non-standard, not publicly-documented, and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and each manufacturer can vary its usage over time. It can be a lot of effort to figure some of it out, and it's often quite idiosyncratic (eg I figured out the Fuji film simulations for my X-LR plugin but they're quite different from Canon Picture Styles), and I think that explains why Adobe have given it a lower priority.
What you should find is that exported files will contain the maker's metadata. When a file is imported, LR stores it in an unparsed metadata field in the catalogue. That data is passed on into exported files, but it's not in the same data form as it would be in the originals.
John

I broadly agree with you, but all of this MakerNote information is non-standard, not publicly-documented, and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and each manufacturer can vary its usage over time.
What you should find is that exported files will contain the maker's metadata. When a file is imported, LR stores it in an unparsed metadata field in the catalogue. That data is passed on into exported files, but it's not in the same data form as it would be in the originals.

Thanks for the insight John. Yes, metadata is a bit of a mess, made more so as you mentioned by the manufacturers.

There was a working Metadata Interoperability Group a few years ago but I'm not sure if it's still active.

Unfortunately, a quick test exporting a NEF file to TIF in LR shows the MAKER notes are stripped by LR. They are not carried foward.

You'll have to look in a different place in the file - that's what I meant by "it's not in the same data form as it would be in the originals". Look for some field name like "unparsed metadata".

Hal, I'm not sure in the long run.

When initially reviewing images, any piece of information can help understand why a picture did not turn out the way I thought it should. For example, there is a plugin that will show the focus point selected in an image. I assume that this uses MAKER information.
Mac only. :rolleyes:

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back