• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lr Doesn't Remember Window Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky3540

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.4.1 [ 202206241800-b406ce4c ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I just migrated from an Intel-based iMac to an Apple Studio with an M1 chip and a Studio Display. When I work in Lr, I resize the Lr window to almost fill the screen. (I don't click the green stoplight.) When I'm done, I hide the Lr window using Command-H. But when I click on the Lr icon in the Dock to start working again in the app, the window has been resized to be much smaller, and has snapped (or just moved) to the lower left corner of the display.

I've searched this forum, looked up a bunch of articles online, checked out my Lr preferences, and reviewed the options in the Window and View drop downs, but don't see a solution to this. I think it's an Lr issue and not a Mac issue because other apps, like Photoshop or Word or Safari, don't do this. But maybe it is a Mac issue with Lr Classic.

The behavior I want, and expect—and was used to when I was running the same versions of the Mac OS and Lr Classic on my iMac just last week—is for the window to re-open in the position and at the size it was it was when I hid it. Note: I'm not quitting Lr, just hiding the window with Cmd-H.

I have to believe there's a simple fix for this; I just don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

If you use the window at almost screen size anyway, then why not use it in full screen with menu bar? That will keep it in place…

Thank you, Johan. I suppose I could do that, but I don't always want the window that big. Also, I want to be able to see the desktop around the edges of Lr window because I click on items I've placed there, and sometimes I have other apps open as well. I'd really rather have Lr just remember the current size of the window.

Thank you, Johan. I suppose I could do that, but I don't always want the window that big. Also, I want to be able to see the desktop around the edges of Lr window because I click on items I've placed there, and sometimes I have other apps open as well. I'd really rather have Lr just remember the current size of the window.

{CMD}{H} is a MacOS option. I suspect this might be a bug or feature of Mojave. When I get back to my M1 iMac, I’ll check the behavior.

You can hide the LrC window from full screen. I have two monitors and Always keep LrC open Full screen in one of them. I also use multiple desktops reserving one desktop for LrC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ancient? Monterey version 12.5 is the current Mac OS for Mac Studio. Here's a screenshot from Software Update on my Mac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 4.42.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 4.42.25 PM.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 70
I’m sorry, I was momentarily confused and swapped the names Monterrey and Mojave.
You are correct.

I’ll need to set up your problem scenario on my iMac tomorrow to see if I can duplicate your problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No worries. Thank you for trying to help me out.

At my iMac now. I opened LrC at something less that a full position on the iMac Retina display. I click on {Cmd}{H} and hide the window, then I click on the LrC icon in the dock. It reopens as I expected. I moved LrC to the secondary display. and repeated. I got the same results.
I am at a loss as to what your issue might be. I cannot du[licate the problem. All I can say with certainty is that this problem, if it repeatable, is not a Lightroom issue since all window behavior is controlled by MacOS.
If you do not regularly reboot your Mac, you might try rebooting and see if you still experience the problem.

Thanks for experimenting. Maybe I'll try some Mac forums, or maybe I'll just live with it. It's a (very) minor inconvenience, not a big problem.

To close the loop on this one: I called Apple Tech Support to see if other people had reported this or if they had a solution. They didn't have a way to fix the issue when I use Cmd-H to hide the Lightroom window, but they did suggest that I use Cmd-M instead to minimize the window, then recall it—at the size and position where I left it—by clicking on the minimized window in the Dock. That works. It does add another icon to the Dock (in addition to the Lr app icon that's already there) but that's not terrible. Clicking on either the Lr app icon or the minimized window brings back the app window the way it was when I left it. I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back