• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lr desktop to PS and back - Multiple editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido Belli

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lr 5.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi V&P,
Please consider the following:
- I send a file from Lr to Ps for editing and save it
- I get two stacked files, the original and a Tif file renamed with -Edit at the end
- I send again the Tif file to Ps to edit it and save it
- I get three stacked files: the original, the old Tiff and a new one renamed with -Edit-Edit at the end
Can you replicate it?
Has it a reason ?
Isn't it redundant?
Thank you!
Best
Guido

This is normal. Lightroom desktop does not have an option to edit the original tiff again.

Thank you, Johan.
I post a feature request.
Ops
Someone else has already opened a discussion on the matter
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...iginal-edit-a-copy-edit-a/m-p/12022554#M39804
This is a bit of a pain as there seems no way to re-edit a tiff in PS while keeping layers intact. If you reopen a layered tiff LR seems to create a flattened copy and open that in PS so you can't modify preexisting layers etc.

This does seem a bit at odds with the "Adobe Lightroom Edit Like a Pro" book which states...
"
RETAINING LAYERS
If you open a layered TIFF/PSD into Photoshop again later, the behavior depends on whether you’ve done further editing in Lightroom:
If you haven’t edited the TIFF/PSD in Lightroom, it opens in Photoshop with its layers intact.
If you’ve applied edits to the TIFF/PSD in Lightroom, the layers are flattened when you open it in Photoshop.
"

I can repro that, I'll bug it. It was working as documented when I wrote it!.

Ok, got a solution as a workaround for now. In PS, go to Edit menu (Windows) / Photoshop menu (Mac) > Preferences > Camera Raw. Under the File Handling tab, set the TIFF pop-up to Disable TIFF support. Then it should behave as documented.

Ok, got a solution as a workaround for now. In PS, go to Edit menu (Windows) / Photoshop menu (Mac) > Preferences > Camera Raw. Under the File Handling tab, set the TIFF pop-up to Disable TIFF support. Then it should behave as documented.

I did as suggested, but apparently it didn't work.
I still get a new staked TIFF file with an added "edit" suffix to the old file name each time I re-edit a layered TIFF file in PS.
Am I right if I say that the expected Lr behavior is that it should be possible to edit a TIFF layered file exporting it from Lr to PS and importing it to Lr after editing as many times as needed with no duplication, unless saved as a new file?
(Please note: the TIFF file has not been edited in Lr before re-editing it in PS. In doing so, the expected behavior is that Lr flattens the TIFF file.)
Please, Queen, say a word of wisdom.

It used to still create an additional -edit file each time, but didn’t flatten layers. That should still be the behaviour with that setting changed.

This seems to be working OK now. Looks like they've fixed the bug.

You still get a new tiff when you re-edit, but the layers are intact.

Great, yes, I saw it on the list of bug fixes in the last release.

Great, yes, I saw it on the list of bug fixes in the last release.
Unfortunately I am still having the same problem (LR 5.4 - OS 12.4).
Editing a second time in PS, I get an "edit-edit" file as described above.
Can you replicate it, Queen Victoria?
:-?

I get an "edit-edit" file as described above.

Yes, that still happens. Think of it as a free "backup" :) You can always delete the previous versions if you want to tidy things up.

The fix is that when you re-edit a photo the PS layers are still intact. Previously, LR flattened the layers when you re-edited so you couldn't continue to edit the phot as it was when you saved it.

Yes, that still happens. Think of it as a free "backup" :) You can always delete the previous versions if you want to tidy things up.

The fix is that when you re-edit a photo the PS layers are still intact. Previously, LR flattened the layers when you re-edited so you couldn't continue to edit the phot as it was when you saved it.
Small consolation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back