• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've been using LR since LR2. Over that time I've changed settings occasionally for reasons I can no longer remember. With every update my settings have been carried over. Some may no longer be appropriate with the latest versions. I'm wary of doing a wholesale reset lest I inadvertently loose some valuable settings. I'd like to see a list of the default settings for a fresh install so I can compare with what I have and then if different, decide which is best. Is there such a list? I'm assuming the default settings are optimum for most cases but is if there is a "best practice" list of settings, that would be good too.

All of your tweaks to Lightroom settings are contained in the preferences file. Rename the Preferences file and restart Lightroom. Lightroom will then reset to the defaults. If you like what you see, the you can delete the old preferences file. If not, you can delete the new preferences file and rename the old file back to the preference file name.

What you are likely to see with a new preferences file is that any plugins that have been installed will need to be reinstalled so that they are recorded in preferences. Presets also may need to be reinstalled or re created.

Last edited:
Brilliant! I'll do it. Thank!

Rename the Preferences file and restart Lightroom.
For future readers on Mac, note that you must restart your computer for changes to the preferences file to take effect. (Mac OS caches the contents of preferences files, and the easiest way to clear the cache is by restarting.) Restarting the computer isn't necessary on Windows (which Bob uses).

I'm adding this note, because too many people over the years have gotten tripped up by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back