• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lr crops image when rotating

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdoak

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I took a photograph of a quilt that hangs by one corner, not one side. I took the shot of the quilt with the sides parallel to the sides of the viewfinder, with the idea that I would rotate it into the right position (one corner at the top). However, when I rotated it, Lr cropped the image to fit within the original aspect ratio. In other words, I couldn't include anything that wasn't in the image.

I went to Photoshop, enlarged the canvas, and made the rotation. Is there any way to do this in Lr?

Cheers,

Will

Attachments

• rotate.jpg
    rotate.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 324
Will,

In a word, sort of!

Before you start your crop, go to the Manual tab of the Lens Corrections panel and reduce the Scale slider. This effectively expands your canvas by shrinking the image.

Lightroom Database-4 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Develop_2012-12-19_19-30-25.jpg

Hal

Interesting play Hal - just shows one - always something to learn.
Nonetheless it will be interesting to see whether this suggestion actually gives the OP what he is after.

Tony Jay

Almost got there

Great suggestion! I almost got there with this image. If I made the quilt a smaller part of the overall image, I think the scale/crop trick would work.

almost made it.jpg

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for the feedback Will - nice to know that it works in principle for you - and Kudos to Hal for his insight!

Tony Jay

Just as an aside and realizing you can't go back in time. Rotate your camera in the field during capture to maximize those megapixels. Cameras can capture at angles other than portrait and landscape...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back