LR Crashing trying to "import" large volume of pics from NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Herold

Animalpics
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've hit a brick wall. . . I have about 3.5TB of photos that were on an external USB drive tied to a 7 year old iMac. . . . and just upgraded to latest, greatest iMAC and Synology NAS with two 4TB drives in RAID1. Not wanting to "move" photos off my USB Ext drive ,I copied them (outside LR) onto the NAS (which took 18 hours) and had hoped to "relink" the catalog (which is on my internal iMAC hard drive) but no luck -everything just hung . . so as an alternative I tried to start with brand new catalog and "reimport" the photos in bulk folder from the NAS . . but LR keeps crashing. It won't go beyond 1.2TB of photos before just stopping. Even with Activity monitor LR is not overdoing CPU time or overusing memory but crashes. . . I have resorted to importing the folders ONE by ONE (There are about 90 folders) and it seems to slowly work. but taking hours (especially with SMART previews. . . .can I do the smart previews later?) . .any suggestions?
I read Victoria's suggestions and tried "Locating images" from the catalog to reindex, but it wouldn't work (even finding nearby image it only found a few, perhaps because there are so many folders?. I also tried to reimport the whole folder of photos from the existing USB external drive with LR CC just hanging and "non responding".

I need to essentially move the 3.5TB of pics (*my whole library) from the external HD to a NAS but cannot get the old catalog to agree to digest the photos from NAS (perhaps just too many photos). I Have tried breaking into smaller pieces (say 50GB folder at a time) but it is still crashing and some folders are over 150GB. Any suggestions appreicated . Im' sure there is a better way. THANK YOU for helping. . .

Welcome to the forum.
I have resorted to importing the folders ONE by ONE
If you had a perfectly good master catalog before and all of the photos in it were pointing to the USB volume, why are you importing???. Simply remove the USB from the system, Open your master LR catalog and the images on that volume will show as missing folders in the folder panel. Right click on the top level parent(s) and choose {Find Missing Folder} from the context menu. In the dialog that opens, navigate to the new location for that folder on the mounted NAS volume. The Catalog then updates to the new location and you are done.

THANK YOU, it's working. . the little thing that I missed was a "control click" for mac. . . I didn't realize there was no "right click". I had tried to get this "find missing folder" to open before but could not using the drop down menus. . I finally realized I had to hit control and click mouse to get the Popup. Thank you so much. . you've saved me hours of LR agony.
I'm hoping the NAS will provide a safer and more stable environment for the photos.

Sincerely appreciate it, Regards, David

I didn't realize there was no "right click".
{Cntl}{Click} is a legacy function left over from the days when Apple only sold a simple single button mouse. Presumably you have a modern Magic Mouse or Trackpad. You should investigate all of the features of these in System Preferences. Apple calls the Right click function "Secondary Click".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back