• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Corrupt Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanBrz

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have just upgraded to LR Classic V. 10 and notice that as well as the new LR Catalog 2.2 V10 and 2.2 (for LR 9), I also have a 'Corrupt Catalog from May 2020, 3.2GB in size. Around that time my PC needed major surgery, eventually the problem was traced to bad RAM. The upshot was that I reinstalled Windows 10 and LR Classic V.9.x and successfully reinstalled a backed up version of my April 2020 Catalog. I also got rid of loads of previews I had accumulated since 2012, and everything has been running fine since May 2020. Presumably it is now safe to delete the 'Corrupt Catalog dated May 2020? I attach a screenshot which shows the breakdown of my LR Master Catalog.
LR Master Catalog breakdown.JPG

If the Catalog named "Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat is working correctly, then every file or folder with a name that begins with "Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10..." should be kept. "Lightroom Settings" is the local folder where you store settings with catalog rather than the global location. The "Backups" folder should be moved to another disk drive for the time when you have your next disk disk failure and you need to restore from a recent catalog backup. All of the files that begin with "Temporary..." are left over from failed imports that happened as far back as 8 years ago (2012). These can be deleted.

Many thanks for your quick reply. I will delete all the files beginning 'Temporary'. My weekly Backups are routed to a completely separate Hard Drive (G), so that's all ok. What I was wondering was if the two highlighted folders dated 18 May - Corrupt Catalog and Temporary Repair Catalog Previews, relating to the problems I had back in May could also be deleted? About 3GB each. To play it safe, I might move these two folders to my G Drive, to see if I notice any problems, if they are no longer in my Lightroom Master Catalog folder on 'C'/. I could always restore them back to 'C'/ if they seem to be required. Any thoughts or suggestions on this course of action? Thanks for your help.
LR Master Catalog breakdown.JPG

Yes, All you need in that folder are the files pertaining to your master catalog. If you are anxious, you could attached a spare EHD and simple copy everything that is not needed to the EHD until you are comfortable with deleting it permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back