• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR constantly crashing (on mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iperiod

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
As of two days ago, I've found LR impossible to work with - it crashes constantly. Sometimes it won't launch properly, and I have to 'force quit' and try again. When it does launch, it usually lets me move around in the Library module, but as soon as I click on Develop, I get the spinning beach ball...usually I can not even 'force quit' my way out - I have to power down the computer with the power button. After having these problems, I updated to the most recent version of LR Classic - but it didn't help at all. I'm on a macbook air, running High Sierra. The computer is about 7 years old, but was working perfectly fine until two days ago, and I'm not having trouble with any other applications. I'm getting ready to uninstall/reinstall - but since I just updated, I'm skeptical that that will help. Any ideas / suggestions? Thanks.

Have you run the Apple Hardware Test iperiod? Having to power down the whole computer makes me think there's an issue with a low level driver or hardware, as the OS shouldn't really let it get into that state.

I ran the test and had a long chat with Apple - it doesn't appear to be a Mac problem. I'll check my external drive next. Any other thoughts?

A Couple of questions: Are you using the GPU for acceleration? Does it meet Adobe's requirements.?
Are you running the Latest Classic v8.4?

Something to try: Disconnect the EHD and see if the problem in Develop Module goes away?

I have the GPU option in LR preferences set to off, if that's what you mean. (I'm not sure what Adobe's requirements are). I'm running the latest version of LR Classic, just installed last night. Everything was working fine until 2 days ago.

How about disconnecting the EHD (and one by one any other connected devices) and report back. Victoria is suggesting a hardware issue and I am inclined to agree.
Why have you not upgraded to Mojave?

Ok - I think I've determined that it is a hardware issue - the problem seems to be in my EHD. This may be a premature conclusion, but LR appears to be functioning normally with no EHD connected, and with my backup EHD connected. With my main EHD, LR hangs up quickly and I hear a lot of spinning action in the drive, which can also sometimes fail to eject. (Now that I think of it, it did fall off of a table the other day...). Thanks a ton for your suggestions.

Oh, and I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet because in years past, the people at NEC told me that it could be a mistake to upgrade to the latest OS too soon, because their calibration software takes a while to update, so if I upgraded OS before they updated their software, my color calibration could be inaccurate. Since then, I've made it a habit to build in some lag time before upgrading OS.

I'm glad you have ID's the failing drive. I hope everything important is backed up.
I usually Follow Apples release dates and up date immediately. I have not had problem But for others I'd recommend waiting for the decimal 1 release. Mojave is already at 10.14.6 and certainly mature enough as 10.15 is being released at the end of the month.
I calibrate my monitors (Apple iMac and ASUS) using iDisplayPro as I have never found a mfg's calibrations to be more than marginal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back