• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR cloud based service when internet access is unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewWenn

Lightroom Version Number
LR cloud v. 5.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. iOS
I live in an area where internet access speeds can vary from 8Mbps download and 3Mbps upload to 37/12 Mbps despite the fact the guaranteed is 40/15Mbps. (Even worse of the power goes out :) which it is doing once very couple of weeks for several hours.)

Assuming an adequately charged iPad Pro
1. is it feasible to use the cloud-based service
2. what would be your advice as the best way to go about it?

Andrew,

Perhaps you would be better served with the desktop version of Lightroom, assuming you have a laptop with good battery life.

Phil Burton

Feasibility will depend a bit on the kind of volume you're shooting and the amount of space on your iPad, but you cache the albums locally if you have enough space, which would reduce the issues around internet being slow at times.

We tend to get spoiled. Even 8/3 is not awful, depending heavily as Victoria said what your volume is. Say you had a medium resolution camera producing 20 MB raw files. It would take about about 50-60 seconds to upload a file and 20 seconds if you needed to download it again (this presumes Adobe can use the whole bandwidth). Since Lightroom's local caching means you are generally going to upload once, and download once for each other device (it sends much smaller updates as you edit) that might be just fine if you shoot only a few shots (do the math and see how it works for you).

Now conversely some aspects would disqualify it: If you edit TIFF's in photoshop and keep updating them those may repeatedly sync and be much bigger. Or if you shoot a lot of shots and use lightroom to cull -- if all of them get uploaded but you keep only 5% you might be burying your internet for no good reason (arguably in that case using a front end culling program may be a lot of help).

But it's largely just a math problem: megabytes * 8 / line mbs will give you the seconds for upload as a best case (it may be slower if Adobe can't keep the link busy or is inefficient -- I've never time tested Adobe's speed).

Ancillary problem is if Adobe uses your whole bandwidth for a long time it might affect other users at your house.

Sounds like you need to plan to run in disconnected mode frequently. When I set up my home office, I had to put my computer and networking devices on UPS’s. My ISP was DSL based and stay up during power outages.

Phil’s idea of moving to Classic along but also installing UPS may be the most practical. You could keep working locally regardless of the internet speed or power situation. Sync would keep the selected files in order regardless of the time needed..

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. Certainly it seems that a little more thought about numbers would be worthwhile on my part.
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back