• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Classis CC - Freezes when importing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen K

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic: 8.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi there

I've come across a strange problem when trying to import photos either from a camera, card or my local HD (LR 8.1, Windows 10 PC).

Up until yesterday it had worked perfectly, but now when I choose import from the Library Module, and chose the source with either "Copy" or "Move" selected , LR stops responding.

Strangely, if before selecting my source, I choose "Add" rather than "Move" or "Copy", LR responds correctly, showing all photos in that location. I can then switch to "Copy" or "Move" and it then works fine.

Given I have a workaround, it's not a complete disaster, but I'd obviously like to get LR to work properly.

Things I've tried:
- resetting preferences
- re-installing LR

Appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks & regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen

A long shot, but do you have any devices attached to the computer? I'm particularly thinking Android phones/tablets. That's been known to stop the dialog responding.

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your reply.

No other devices are attached to the computer, and no hardware has changed in the period between it working as it should and now.

A few other things I've tried, which haven't helped:
- Trying to import a single file (instead of a large number of files)
- Turned off "Use Graphics Processor"
- Cleaned registry

When using "Copy" or "Move", check to make sure you have a valid drive/folder selection in the "Destination" panel.

Hi Again,

Just wondering whether anyone else has had this issue and what they did to resolve it.

I can still get by with my workaround, but it doesn't make sense that it no longer works properly, so I'm keen to get to the bottom of it.

Appreciate any further ideas.

Thanks

Stephen

Another workaround I came across through more searches online is to choose "Organize Into One Folder" instead of "Organize By Date" during the import process, and that works. If I choose "Organize Into One Folder", then choose my source folder for the files I want to copy or move, it displays previews of each photo for selection as you'd expect. I can then change back to my preferred import option of "Organize By Date", and it works as normal. Very strange.

Although this works, my preference is not to use strange workarounds, but rather resolve the underlying issue.

Roelof, thanks for your suggestion also. I tried creating a new user and was able to import to the existing catalog with the new user. I guess I could go ahead and try to copy settings etc to a new user, but again, that's not desirable.

I tried creating a new user and was able to import to the existing catalog with the new user. I guess I could go ahead and try to copy settings etc to a new user, but again, that's not desirable
So it seems to be related with Windows. Is it possible to go back to a Windows restorepoint from before the problems started?

So it seems to be related with Windows. Is it possible to go back to a Windows restorepoint from before the problems started?
Unfortunately not. This problem started months ago, so the only restore points are more recent.

I think I have sorted this issue.

I tried importing photos to other folders, and it worked fine, so figured that it must have something to do with my main "Photos" folder.

As it turns out, there was a shortcut to "Photos" in the root directory of the "Photos" folder (not sure how that got there).

The destination pointer was showing against both the folder name and the shortcut, so perhaps this was confusing Lightroom?

Once the shortcut was deleted, it seems to work fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back