• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Classic Workflow when away on a trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhether18

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi I am after some advice from the LR gurus on here.
I am getting a laptop to replace my desktop so that I can take this away on photography workshops and trips.
I currently store my LR catalogue on my computer hard drive and intend to continue with this as my new laptop will have 2 SSD drives but I store all my raw files on a Lacie external drive.
When I am away I would like to keep my raw files backed up to a separare external drive (not the Lacie drive as too big for travel) but use the LR catalogue on the laptop. My question is when I get home I intend to transfer the raw files from the portable hard drive to my Lacie external drive at home but my question is how will LR know where the raw filese are.? Interested in a workflow to make this scenario work - thanks in advance.

You could start by reading this blog post: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-to-lightroom-catalog-multiple-computers/

However, there's a much more detailed explanation in the "Multiple Computers or Catalogs" chapter in your copy of the Missing FAQ book. Look at the section in that chapter which deals with "Working with Multiple Machines".
Hi Jim
Thanks yes I did look at the book but I cannot see where it references this scenario ie accessing my master LR catalogue on laptop but storing raw files on external drive. I assume on return I can copy the new raw files to my Lacie drive at home then relink the catalogue files in Lightroom?

Reading your scenario carefully... it seems you are not trying to use mulitple computers/catologs, (as you say 'new laptop to replace computer) but just to transfer the raw files from one drive to another when you get home.
Therefore all you need to do is plug in your lacie to your laptop, and drag the folder of pics (from within Lightroom) from your portable drive to your lacie folders? There doesnt need to be a wokrflow as such... unless im misreading your requirements.

Yes, your workflow is the same as mine. I have my main catalog on my laptop, but I do not take my main picture disk with me. So while on the road I temporarily store the new images on the internal disk and make a backup on a small portable disk. When I get home, all I have to do is drag the temporary folders (in Lightroom) from the internal disk to the main picture disk.

Yes, your workflow is the same as mine. I have my main catalog on my laptop, but I do not take my main picture disk with me. So while on the road I temporarily store the new images on the internal disk and make a backup on a small portable disk. When I get home, all I have to do is drag the temporary folders (in Lightroom) from the internal disk to the main picture disk.
That was my preferred workflow.... but .. had a really bad experience with a high end Dell laptop.... which forced me back to my desktop.

Reading your scenario carefully... it seems you are not trying to use mulitple computers/catologs, (as you say 'new laptop to replace computer) but just to transfer the raw files from one drive to another when you get home.
Therefore all you need to do is plug in your lacie to your laptop, and drag the folder of pics (from within Lightroom) from your portable drive to your lacie folders? There doesnt need to be a wokrflow as such... unless im misreading your requirements.
Thank you. Would I need to have both drives (portable used on trip and Lacie at home) plugged into the laptop when I return to transfer?

I agree with Johan and OrangeFrameStudio.

One thing to add though is this. If you want to be able to view images left at home on the Lacie while on the road, before you go make sure that LrC has built previews for all the images you may want to look at (or show others). This is as simple as just viewing them in the grid. If you want to be able to view them in the loup view while on the road, then view them in the loupe view or create 1:1 previews before you go to have LrC build a big enough preview for that operation. This will not however permit you to open the images in the Develop Module.

If, on the othere hand, if you want to be able to see those images in the Develop Module and even perhaps edit those left at home images while on the road (rather than just viewing them), then have LrC create Smart Previews before you go.

I would also turn off Cloud sync while on the road. Uses too much band width and time for Hotel WiFi.

Thank you. Would I need to have both drives (portable used on trip and Lacie at home) plugged into the laptop when I return to transfer?
not 100% required, you are just dragging a folder from one location to another (the same as in exploerer/finder) but just using lightroom instead so it can update the paths as you do it , so in theory you could drag them onto the internal drive first, then to the lacie, if you cant plugin both at the same time.

not 100% required, you are just dragging a folder from one location to another (the same as in exploerer/finder) but just using lightroom instead so it can update the paths as you do it , so in theory you could drag them onto the internal drive first, then to the lacie, if you cant plugin both at the same time.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it. This has put my mind at rest - I have a week trip to Skye in a few weeks and a 17day trip to Iceland in 2024 so I would like the option of editing my images when I am away rather than leaving them all till i get home.

Last edited:
If you store the travel images on the portable drive, then yes. If you store the travel images on the internal drive and use the portable drive as backup like I do, then no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back