• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lr Classic v 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Just wondering, is this latest Lr upgrade worthy of the jump to version 9? For the first time I am starting to wonder if the subscription is really worth it. Had his been a traditional license I would probably have skipped this release. Or am I missing something? It has been known :)

Hi everyone,
I have an old Geforce210 on my Windows 10 that doesnt support directx12, so i cant run Lightroom Classic 9, i have to upgrade the GPU.
Can anyone advice me a new GPU for this new version of LR? (max $150)
Is it a big difference to use a sub $100 GPU with directX12 or a $300+ GPU? Where will i notice more diference?
Thanks a lot!

One thing to consider is that Additional VRAM adds to the price. With LR there is probably a happy price point to VRAM .. I’d suggest at least 4GB and preferably 8 GB of VRAM.

I have an old Geforce210 on my Windows 10 that doesnt support directx12, so i cant run Lightroom Classic 9, i have to upgrade the GPU.
This is not strictly true, is it? My understanding is that you CAN run LR 9, you just WILL NOT get the benefit of GPU acceleration. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I am not able to test this).

This is not strictly true, is it? My understanding is that you CAN run LR 9, you just WILL NOT get the benefit of GPU acceleration. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I am not able to test this).
You are right. I can open it, but when im on Library it takes more than 5 seconds to go from one photo to the next one.
(using raw photos from a canon 80D with an Intel i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz and Samsung SSD).
In the Develop module its faster.
Will it fix this slow problem in the library module and even in the develop module if i change to a directx12 GPU?
Im already trying other alternative softwares but i really liked LR and i would prefer to keep working with it as i already have a lot of xmp files with the raws i developed.
Thanks for any advice.

I think Adobe bumps up the version number whenever there is a change in the database structure. This has happened in every version number change since v1. The exception to this rule was v8 when going from v7 to v8 did not update the database structure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It could be that Adobe "saves up" major new features for the next full-number release, which now seems to be on a yearly cadence. A major new feature might require a database upgrade.

I've come to like the subscription model - it saves me having to budget for annual upgrades, then trying to decide whether to upgrade or not. The only thing I'd like to see is the cost of additional cloud storage come down.

The major competitors like C1 and DXO update every Oct within a week of each other. Since I own DXO as well I read about all the complaints of how little was offered as well. C1 jumped from version 12 to 20. It is just business and I think Adobe just matches their competitors upgrade cycle. Makes them look like they aren't sitting around. If someone is shopping around and look at LR they will see there are new upgrades every year. Although there may not be major upgrades we know we get them all year. Not everyone knows this. If I ran Adobe I'd do it. I'd call it 21 next year.

Texture was huge for me and and it was mid year update. IMO you know what Adobe needs next? An AI NR option. NR Sensei. Keep the traditional method for fast developing. Out in forum land that is one of top gripes about LR and a reason to use a competitor. I'd welcome it.

I use one of Jeffery's plugin and while the upgrade is a pain it is well worth it. I knew it was coming.
DxO does not, and never will apparently, support Fuji. That takes them right out of the game for me.

I've come to like the subscription model - it saves me having to budget for annual upgrades, then trying to decide whether to upgrade or not. The only thing I'd like to see is the cost of additional cloud storage come down.
Interestingly, I now see an option for 'Creative Cloud Photography plan with 1TB' on my account (I'm on the Photography Plan 20Gb currently) that is just an extra £5 per month (still includes Classic, PS, Lightroom cloud) - not quite sure where Adobe are going with this, previously the extra store would have needed me to pay an extra £10/month to my knowledge. I checked by launching Lightroom Cloud, then in the top right (cloud) See Plans.

Unless it's changed I think the £14.98 is just for the first 12 months - I'd more than happy if it was a permanent price!

Unless it's changed I think the £14.98 is just for the first 12 months - I'd more than happy if it was a permanent price!
You're absolutely right, Chris, I just read the T&C's. Not so great then!!!

You are right. I can open it, but when im on Library it takes more than 5 seconds to go from one photo to the next one.
(using raw photos from a canon 80D with an Intel i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz and Samsung SSD).
In the Develop module its faster.
Will it fix this slow problem in the library module and even in the develop module if i change to a directx12 GPU?
Im already trying other alternative softwares but i really liked LR and i would prefer to keep working with it as i already have a lot of xmp files with the raws i developed.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm not a computer wiz but I just got a new iMac. I was never able use the full graphics acceleration before so I just enabled it. I can move from file to file in both Develop and Library with no delays.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 10.41.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 10.41.12 AM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 188
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back