• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export LR Classic turning images pink toned on export

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Sivley

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I'm using Windows 10 and LR Classic.
IWhen I go to export a batch of images, it's turning them all pink toned, despite the color balance being good before export. I'm assuming somehow, somewhere an export preset has been created that shifts the white balance/color balance. Where would I find this export preset and how can I get rid of it? I've tried exporting with a couple of my own different previously created presets, and same thing happens: pink tone. Thanks!

Paul

The export dialog does not change the colour or tone of the image apart from the necessary adjustments depending on the export colourspace selected. There are no Develop presets that can be applied in the export dialog that have not already being applied by the Develop module. This does not explain your observation.

The much more likely issue is that it is a combination of a poorly calibrated monitor and then subsequently viewing the exported image in a non-colour managed application.

Colour management is a large subject but the hub around which it revolves, for practical purposes, is a properly calibrated monitor. Until this one issue is sorted there is no real way to move forward since any further steps are explicitly dependent on being sure that what one views on one's monitor represents accurate colour and tones...

Tony Jay

Tony, et al
I have two NEC monitors, one of which is calibrated (2 days ago) via their Spectraview software and device. The other is a lesser NEC and doesn't support use of Spectraview, though I have a 3rd NEC I may switch into the 2nd monitor spot which is calibrated. When I view the images in LR, the color tone/wb is good. I then export them as is/original and they show up in Windows Explorer tinted pink. This is viewing them solely on the one calibrated monitor in LR and Explorer - ie not looking at them in LR on one monitor and Explorer in the 2nd. So I don't see how calibration can be the culprit here. Thoughts?

There are many discussions on whether Explorer is color managed or not. View the exported images in a colour managed app eg photoshop. If they look ok then Windows/Explorer colour settings are suspect.

Here is a snippet from a discussion on the subject.

Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer should not be used for color critical work. Although it understands both ICCv2 and ICCv4 profiles, it does not use the monitor profile {my emphasis} which means you cannot rely on what you're seeing. IE11 may be passable only if you have reason to believe that the native response of your monitor is close to sRGB. Otherwise, avoid.

I've included first the image viewed in lightroom post use of develop tools where wb is good. I've then inserted a copy of same image post export as viewed in Windows Explorer. Finally, I've inserted a screen shot of the export settings used with the image. You can see I marked the export as "original" in the hopes of making no changes in the color space of the developed image upon export.

Attachments

• Developcorrected.JPG
    Developcorrected.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 354
  • Export settings.JPG
    Export settings.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 385
  • PostExport.JPG
    PostExport.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 317
Exporting as "Original" may well be the issue, because that basically makes a copy of the original image, and embeds the develop instructions into the XMP section of the header. Because LR is a non-destructive editor, and because Windows Explorer cannot interpret or apply the embedded develop instructions in the XMP, it will in effect show you the unedited image.

Try the export again, but this time use Image Format of JPEG, and Color Space of sRGB, Quality of at least 70. Then view outside LR to see the result.

I was viewing the images in Windows Explorer, kind of akin to Finder on mac systems. I was not using Internet Explorer, an internet browser.

Jim W, I think you have it as to the "original" selection being the source of the problem. I exported them using "jpeg" as the setting and the good white balance held through export into finished images. Now if I can just get Dropbox to let me create a link to the images based in Dropbox so I can send a link to the client via email. It's wierd how sometimes in dropbox you right click on a folder and it gives you the option to copy or create a link to the images -- and sometimes that right click create a link option just doesn't show up. Someone once told me you have to be logged into dropbox online for that function to show up, but I am presently logged onto my dropbox account and see no right click option to create a link for a client email.
Jim W many, many thanks!
Paul Sivley

Exporting as "Original" may well be the issue, because that basically makes a copy of the original image, and embeds the develop instructions into the XMP section of the header. Because LR is a non-destructive editor, and because Windows Explorer cannot interpret or apply the embedded develop instructions in the XMP, it will in effect show you the unedited image.

Try the export again, but this time use Image Format of JPEG, and Color Space of sRGB, Quality of at least 70. Then view outside LR to see the result.

Interesting. Learned something new today ;-)

I don't use this setting, but I always assumed that choosing "original" would export all JPG's as JPG, all TIFs as TIF, etc. but WITH the LR edits applied to them.
Good to know now that it really does export the original with edits only in the XMP section.

I tried exporting a JPG and in Explorer the changes are not visible. But opening the JPG in Photoshop, ACR comes up WITH the edits showing up.

If I wish to use the same raw file in two different projects (usually with different post processing treatments), I use the Export as Original to create a new raw version in the new project folder. I keep the same filename. In this way, I can find all images in my catalog which have the same parent, but they are kept in different project folders. (Ps. I am not trying to start a debate between using collections and folders). I have an export preset created for this, so right clicking on the image and selecting my export pre-set is a painless way to create the image in its project folder.

I never considered using this for anything other than raw, as I have my export presets refined for my jpgs for web, tiffs for print, etc.

Yes, but I believe Adobe did not finish the Virtual copy feature, so I avoid virtual copies. I think that is the subject of a different debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back