• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Classic problem with sync'd photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmsp

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Win 10 Pro
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): New LR Classic and new LR CC

I decided to give LR CC a test drive.
I already had some photos in the orig LR Mobile. Now in LR CC, so I added a few more from an iphone and a ipad.
So far, so good.
One photo was a raw for a Canon 80D.
In the desktop version of LR CC, I did an edit in Photoshop, and saved it. The edits showed up just fine on the ipad and iphone, both using LR CC.
But when I went at LR Classic and the "all sync'd photos", the PS edited photo showed up with a color bar across the middle.
upload_2017-11-3_12-18-39.png

The photo on the right is the original, the one on the left is the one edited by PS via LR CC, and viewed in LR Classic.
Interesting enough, the new key words I added in LR CC sync'd over to LR Classic. The original one retained the older keywords, which did not make it over to LR CC.

Have you tried opening the Tif directly into Photoshop, to see if that same corruption is visible there?

Have you tried opening the Tif in the Develop module, is the same corruption visible there?

Basically, we need to figure out if that corruption is just on the preview or the actual file.

The keywords syncing bit is interesting. I'm pretty sure that when PS creates a derivative such as Tif or PSD, it automatically includes all metadata in the XMP section....but that would mean that LRCC has passed that metadata (including the new keywords) to PS. When the Tif syncs back down into LR Classic, it automatically reads that XMP metadata. That's my best guess. How did the original file get into LRCC, synced from Classic or added via one of the LRCC apps? Either way, the only way the older keywords would have made it to LRCC is if you had written them to XMP sidecar via Ctrl+S before the file was synced/added to LRCC.

Have you tried opening the Tif directly into Photoshop, to see if that same corruption is visible there?

No, it is not present in PS.

Have you tried opening the Tif in the Develop module, is the same corruption visible there? ....

Yes it is. If I go to PS from Develop, the line is not present.

Re Key words - I need to go back and do this a bit more carefully. The file had been there for a while. The original file came into LRCC via a sync with LR Mobile in LR Classic. I have not written the keywords into an XMP sidecar via Ctrl+S .

Jim, would you mind uploading that PSD (e.g. via Dropbox or similar) so we can check it out. Seems odd that the corruption only appears in Classic, it would be helpful if one of us can verify that, then if so we can flag it up to Adobe.

Thanks Jim. Most odd, the file looks corrupt almost everywhere: LR Classic, LR CC (after syncing it from Classic), LRWeb. But not if I open it directly in PS, or if I open it in PS from LR Classic.

Could you put the original CR2 up in Dropbox as well? I'd like to see what happens if I follow the same process as you.

Jim, I've downloaded the CR2, added it to LRCC, then used Edit in Photoshop from LRCC, the returned file showed no corruption. I suspect a hardware hiccup might have caused it, though I'm at a loss to understand why PS doesn't show it. You could perhaps try removing just the Tif from LRCC and try the Edit in process again to see if it does the same thing. If it does, it would probably be worth filing a bug report with Adobe, I'd think they'd be keen to understand what's causing it.

Jim, I've downloaded the CR2, added it to LRCC, then used Edit in Photoshop from LRCC, the returned file showed no corruption.....

Jim , there is one minor difference between what you did and I did and that I can't reproduce - I had loaded the original Raw into LR mobile before it became LR CC.
It was there when I converted to LR Classic, and before I downloaded LR CC. Even that should not cause what we are seeing, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back