• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Classic on new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkiemom

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 12.2 (I think since I can't call the program up)
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
I just upgraded to a new computer. Lightroom shows a message saying "your catalog will be upgraded in order to access the latest changes in the newer version. The current catalog says LR catalog.lrcat. Under it it ways upgraded to LR catalog-V12-3.lrcat. Then the upgraded catalog will not be compatible with previous versions of LR.

Should I be saying upgrade and then LR will start? I couldn't find anything in my manual about this so asking for help.

Also when I call up LR it comes up also with a recent catalog to open...and shows LR Catalog.lrcat. or choose a different. Two different messages.

Solution
I got LR Classic to work. I decided to check Task Manager and saw there were 3 running previously..but not sure if that was because I kept trying to open and they didn't or what. Then of course I had to get all my keywording back but got them.

Thanks for everyone's help.
If Lightroom Classic needs to upgrade the catalog, then you need to let it do so before it will open.

I wonder, though, if you are opening an old version of your catalog, and there was an already upgraded one on your old computer. I would look around the files you have copied to your new computer for another "v12" catalog before starting to work with one that is potentially years out of date.

David is correct, check it's not an old copy - each time you try (if it's already upgraded) -1, -2, -3... is added to the name. So look for one that just ends -v12. The upgrade became necessary when 12.0 came out, and that was October 2022.

Here's an explanation:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-upgrade-catalog/

So I should probably use the above catalog since that's all I have. I'm hoping it will update and I won't lose anything.

Well my program wasn't opening and now it still isn't. Do I have to roll back to maybe 12.1, 12.0 ? Should I download Creative Cloud apps again? Not sure how to proceed now. I have all my apps except LR Classic. Even LR comes up, not that I have used the cloud version.

The program icon on my desktop. I can't even open it in the Creative Cloud app folder
Since you are running Win 11, your machine should be able to support the latest version of Classic. so I am wondering if you had installation issues. Do your other Creative Cloud Apps open and run okay?

--Ken

All my other programs work fine so there must be.
Then you can try and reload LR Classic or you can try and revert to a prior version of it to see what happens. Nether action should touch your catalog files.

--Ken

I got LR Classic to work. I decided to check Task Manager and saw there were 3 running previously..but not sure if that was because I kept trying to open and they didn't or what. Then of course I had to get all my keywording back but got them.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back