• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Classic on a laptop while traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickpics14

RickW
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have LR Classic running on a desktop Mac at home, and plan to travel in a couple of weeks with my Mac laptop.

I have heard that I can download a second copy of LR Classic onto my laptop for travel, and transfer the photos I take (and process) to my desktop when I return.

How does one do this? A fair amount of searching has failed to provide an answer.

I have LR 4 on the laptop, and in the past I have just used it when traveling.

Rick

I am a bit uncertain as to exactly what the question is:
Are you asking whether it is legally permissible to do this - and hence technically possible... OR
Are you asking how one works with so-called "travel catalogs" and how to co-ordinate these with one's main catalog?

You can have two copies running at a time. To make this a little more complicated - but better - you can actually have lots of copies on lots of computers, but you have to register each time you add a new computer and a basic license just allows two at a time. So, once you have LrC loaded on your two computers, you're done.

I am a bit uncertain as to exactly what the question is:
Are you asking whether it is legally permissible to do this - and hence technically possible... OR
Are you asking how one works with so-called "travel catalogs" and how to co-ordinate these with one's main catalog?

Tony, I've been assuming that I would do what I have done with LR4 on my laptop: Have a catalog from the trip, use an SD card to transfer it to my desktop when I get home, and then import it into the desktop's catalog.

Just go to Adobe and look for the Lightroom download. After you download and install, Adobe is likely to ask for your password and ID.

Barry, but how do I get it onto my laptop?

Install the Adobe. Creative Cloud Application Manager on you laptop and then you may want to create a new catalog file on the laptop. Or make a copy of your master catalog (you can omit the master image files unless you want these too.

Any images that you add new to the travel catalog, you will want to add back to the master catalog using the “Import from Another Catalog” function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just go to Adobe and look for the Lightroom download. After you download and install, Adobe is likely to ask for your password and ID.
AFAIK, there is no direct Lightroom download. You need to install it in the same way you installed it on your desktop. That means downloading and installing the Creative Cloud app, logging into that app, and then you can install the products that come with your subscription from within that app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back