• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR classic move to M1 Mac via Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

skronwith_1

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v10.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I will be getting a new M1 iMac and use LR classic. I use a Time Machine external drive for backup of entire computer including all photos and I assume the new computer will ask me to set it up from a Time Machine backup which I intend to do. Will this method be ok and LR will run perfectly or are there other things I have to do? Thanks.

Lightroom should run perfectly after that.

Lightroom should run perfectly after that.

I am waiting on my M1 iMac. I intend to use TimeMachine to migrate my intel iMac to my M1 iMac. However It seems to me that the Rosetta version of Lightroom Classic will be migrated. I will want to install the M1 compile of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom. I made need to do this after the Migration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am waiting on my M1 iMac. I intend to use TimeMachine to migrate my intel iMac to my M1 iMac. However It seems to me that the Rosetta version of Lightroom Classic will be migrated. I will want to install the M1 compile of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom. I made need to do this after the Migration.
I am pretty sure you don’t. Lightroom Classic is a universal app. Both the Intel code as well as the M1 code are in one and the the same app.

I am pretty sure you don’t. Lightroom Classic is a universal app. Both the Intel code as well as the M1 code are in one and the the same app.

That is surprising. I would think that there would need to be a separate compile for Intel and another for M1. Why else would ther have been a need for Rosetta? The installer would determine which compile gets installed. If I migrate the installed version of v10.3 or later from my Intel iMac, it will not be optimized to run native on M1 but will be running under Rosetta emulation. I think I am going to need to reinstall v10.3 or later to get code that is optimized to run with M1.

In a month or so. I’ll let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed there is now one Mac LrC application for both Intel and Mac. If you go into Finder, Applications, select LrC, right click and select "Get Info" you will get the app info dialog info box. Just below the Copyright statement in the box you will see options for Open in Low Resolution and Open in Rosetta. By default if you open the new LrC on an M1 Mac it will open in native mode. If you select the option of "Open in Rosetta" you can force it to use Rosetta emulation. That lets you do emulation when you need LrC to interwork with another app that can't do native mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 12.08.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 12.08.10 AM.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 88
That is surprising. I would think that there would need to be a separate compile for Intel and another for M1. Why else would ther have been a need for Rosetta?
Rosetta is for running Intel-only apps on your M1 Mac. Lightroom Classic is not an Intel only app, so it doesn't need and won't use Rosetta (unless you force it to).

Indeed there is now one Mac LrC application for both Intel and Mac. If you go into Finder, Applications, select LrC, right click and select "Get Info" you will get the app info dialog info box. Just below the Copyright statement in the box you will see options for Open in Low Resolution and Open in Rosetta. By default if you open the new LrC on an M1 Mac it will open in native mode. If you select the option of "Open in Rosetta" you can force it to use Rosetta emulation. That lets you do emulation when you need LrC to interwork with another app that can't do native mode.
OK, I see only the "Open in low resolution" option on my Intel Mac. Presumably this is because the OS knows there is no M1 Chip, No Rosetta. It seems like there is a lot of unused code in the app no matter which chip you are using.

OK, I see only the "Open in low resolution" option on my Intel Mac. Presumably this is because the OS knows there is no M1 Chip, No Rosetta. It seems like there is a lot of unused code in the app no matter which chip you are using.
Yep. This was the same with the 'fat binaries' when Apple changed from Motorola to Intel and used the first version of Rosetta for Motorola only apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back