• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR CLASSIC FILES CANNOT BE DELETED TO TRASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimk1963

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 13.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
Catalog has about 55,000 files. Roughly 22,000 are in folder "2019", with date-organized subfolders.

2019 was when I began my bird photography learnings, so 2019 has thousands of throw-away files that I began deleting.

In doing so, even when deleting only a few files, the dreaded "cannot move XX files to the recycle bin" error kept coming up.

Researching here (and elsewhere), couldn't find a good solution. This morning, I stumbled on a solution that seems to be working.

When I began the deletions in Library, I was pointed to the "2019" folder, so that all 22,000 files could be examined/culled.

After experiencing the recycle bin issue, I backed up/optimized the catalog, re-opened it, tried again - same issue.

So after one more backup/optimization/re-open, this time I pointed to an individual sub-folder in the library (for example 2019-01-15). Each Sub-folder has 10's or possibly 100's of files, but not thousands. Now, when I delete files in each sub-folder, the deletions are very fast and so far (about 2,000 files deleted) I haven't seen the recycle bin error once.

Conjecture - when pointing to 10's of thousands of files, any change seems to drive a lot of activity (catalog update? compression re-do? dunno), and I think recycle bin deletions get missed as a result. If instead I focus on one subfolder at a time, the changes seem far more incremental, and very fast, so I'm guessing the app can easily keep up with me.

Anyway hope that helps someone, was driving me nuts.

Hi

iMac24 Somona 14.3.1 LR Classic 13.1

Recently I have been unable to delete single of multiple images to trash. When I select delete from disc, I get the following - see attached file. Can anybody help me with this one?

Thanks in anticipaton

Hi

iMac24 Somona 14.3.1 LR Classic 13.1

Recently I have been unable to delete single of multiple images to trash. When I select delete from disc, I get the following - see attached file. Can anybody help me with this one?

Thanks in anticipaton
I get this occasionally, usually with larger files like videos. Trying again after a while seems to do the trick. I figure, the deletion of the file is locked temporarily until some process is completed.

I get this occasionally, usually with larger files like videos. Trying again after a while seems to do the trick. I figure, the deletion of the file is locked temporarily until some process is completed.
You don’t even have to try again. The error message contains a button you can click to delete the file while skipping the trash.

Many thanks for this information. The problem started out of the blue. I will wait for it to go away.

Martin
I’ve been having the same issue. And when I clicked “Permanent“ delete button, my external HD size wasn’t getting getting smaller. Over the past year the HD actually increased even though I thought images were being deleted.

To see if there were any hidden files on the HD I copied my HD content over to a temporary HD and reformatted it. I got back 1.5 TB worth of space.

My work around that worked for me this morning.
1. Open LR and find an image you want to delete. Don’t try and delete it yet thru LR.
2. Now go to HD that has the same image. Delete image directly through HD to the TRASH CAN.
3. Then go to same image in LR and now delete it. Image will go to TRASH CAN.
4. Now you can delete any image directly through LR
5. If I shut down my computer I have to start the entire process over again. But if I just shut down LR and reopen it, I can still delete through LR to the TRASH CAN.

Not sure if this will work for anyone else, but I’ve not seen anyone report this particular process to resolve the issue at least temporarily.

I’ve been having the same issue. And when I clicked “Permanent“ delete button, my external HD size wasn’t getting getting smaller. Over the past year the HD actually increased even though I thought images were being deleted.

To see if there were any hidden files on the HD I copied my HD content over to a temporary HD and reformatted it. I got back 1.5 TB worth of space.

My work around that worked for me this morning.
1. Open LR and find an image you want to delete. Don’t try and delete it yet thru LR.
2. Now go to HD that has the same image. Delete image directly through HD to the TRASH CAN.
3. Then go to same image in LR and now delete it. Image will go to TRASH CAN.
4. Now you can delete any image directly through LR
5. If I shut down my computer I have to start the entire process over again. But if I just shut down LR and reopen it, I can still delete through LR to the TRASH CAN.

Not sure if this will work for anyone else, but I’ve not seen anyone report this particular process to resolve the issue at least temporarily.
Just to clarify. You only have to delete the image in the HD once. All other images thereafter can be deleted to TRASH CAN through LR.

I’m a bit puzzled about what you describe, but I think you describe a process of deleting images in Lightroom (cloud), not Lightroom Classic. For example, in point 3 you suggest that Lightroom has a trashcan. Lightroom Classic does not, but Lightroom cloud does. You also talk about images on disk, and ‘the same image in Lightroom’. Again that is possible in Lightroom cloud, but not in Lightroom Classic. The Lightroom Classic catalog does not contain physical images, it only contains links to the images on disk. So are you indeed talking about Lightroom (cloud)? This thread is about a problem in Lightroom Classic, not about deleting images from Lightroom.

I’m a bit puzzled about what you describe, but I think you describe a process of deleting images in Lightroom (cloud), not Lightroom Classic. For example, in point 3 you suggest that Lightroom has a trashcan. Lightroom Classic does not, but Lightroom cloud does. You also talk about images on disk, and ‘the same image in Lightroom’. Again that is possible in Lightroom cloud, but not in Lightroom Classic. The Lightroom Classic catalog does not contain physical images, it only contains links to the images on disk. So are you indeed talking about Lightroom (cloud)? This thread is about a problem in Lightroom Classic, not about deleting images from Lightroom.
Sorry for the confusion. I’m actually talking about LR Classic. I don’t have LR Cloud. When my images get deleted from LR Classic, delete from disk, they go into my TRASH when it’s working correctly. I can then delete the images in the TRASH. My file size of my HD decreases.

If its not working, I get the message about the image(s) can not it be deleted from this disk and it gives me an option to cancel the request or delete anyway but the image file numbers are listed in a big white box indicating what images are being deleted in this manner. . If I click delete anyway, the link to the photos in LR Classic and the photos on my hard drive are deleted . BUT, my file size on my external HD where my images are located does not decrease over time. That is a problem unless I plan on reformatting my external HD where my images are located every 6 months or so because the images aren’t being deleted completely. They are hidden somehow.

Yes, I’m aware LR Classic doesn’t contain actual physical images. So the LINK disappears. I apologize for using incorrect terminology which made it confusing.

Thank you for your questions because it is probably confusing to somebody else as well and it’s giving me an opportunity to clarify and be a little more precise.

So I understand that the images disappeared from their folder if you look in the folder using the Finder? If so, then most likely they are deleted just fine, and reformatting is not needed to get back that space. The MacOS Finder is not very good at showing the correct file sizes if a process of adding or deleting images goes around the Finder.

So I understand that the images disappeared from their folder if you look in the folder using the Finder? If so, then most likely they are deleted just fine. The MacOS Finder is not very good at showing the correct file sizes if a process of adding or deleting images goes around the Finder.
Yes, the images are disappearing in the folder. Thank you.

Thanks Johan,

My initial post related to LR Classic. I think the I have uploaded the error that I get?

Redards

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back