• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module LR Classic DataBase Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Naylor

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.2.1 [ 1206193 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I've discovered a problem that I would appreciate some help with.

Back in 1973, we took a week in Tintagel and it never stopped raining. We returned home, waited a week, and then went to sunny Scarborough for a week. The OM-1 images have been scanned, edited in Photoshop and saved to Lightroom as 16bit uncompressed TIFFs. I think they were imported to one folder, renamed and keyworded. Later, they were split into two separate folders, one for Tintagel and one for Scarborough. No problems there, then.

Today (about 3 years later), I notice a problem. When I perform a Text search on Any Searchable Field for Scarborough, the Tintagel ones are also returned. Similarly, a search on Tintagel also returns the Scarborough images.

The keyword Tintagel is not assigned to the Scarborough set, and vice versa. There are no Captions, Locations or anything else to be seen that could cause this. ExifTool confirms to me that the word Tintagel does not exist in any of the Scarborough images, and vice versa.

Note: Only the Any Searchable Field option causes this to happen - all the other search option work as expected.

I tend to conclude the error is with the Lightroom catalog file, but how to fix it?

I can think of two possibilities:
1: When you rename images in Lightroom after you've imported them, the old name is preserved. Maybe the old name contained both locations?
2: Maybe the file path contains both locations.

I can think of two possibilities:
1: When you rename images in Lightroom after you've imported them, the old name is preserved. Maybe the old name contained both locations?
2: Maybe the file path contains both locations.
Thank you for the suggestions, but I've checked for both of these already. I've also ran the Optimise and Integrity checks several times. Interestly, none of my entire catalogue displays a Previous Name - just an empty Copy Name. Have Adobe changed something here?

Any more ideas?

The "Quick Describe" Metadata display filter does not show all of the metadata fields. Try on of the other filters that show more data fields (I'm not sure which one shows the original file name)

The "Quick Describe" Metadata display filter does not show all of the metadata fields. Try on of the other filters that show more data fields (I'm not sure which one shows the original file name)
The thing is, none of the Metadata options display a previous file name. I've tried all of them.

I don't think there is a view that shows the 'Original File Name', but the field does exist. You can use it to rename images (again).
It depends when you do the rename....if it's done during import, then the metadata panel shows the renamed file name only. But if it's done post import, the Default and the EXIF & IPTC metadata views will show both the new filename and the original (import) filename.....though in typical Adobe fashion the two metadata views use different terms for the original filename, one calls it "Original Filename" and the other calls it "Preserved Filename".

It depends when you do the rename....if it's done during import, then the metadata panel shows the renamed file name only. But if it's done post import, the Default and the EXIF & IPTC metadata views will show both the new filename and the original (import) filename.....though in typical Adobe fashion the two metadata views use different terms for the original filename, one calls it "Original Filename" and the other calls it "Preserved Filename".
I was slightly wrong when I said none of the catalogue displayed an Original Filename. In fact, some do and some don't. However, the folders in question (Scarborough and Tintagel) don't show the Original Filename. I never rename of Import - only in post. And all of the thousands of scans have probably been renamed and moved into other folders many times as I've been guesstimating the dates they were taken.

I'm pretty sure the database has become a little corrupt. Especially so, because only a few moments ago I imported 2 new images, a TIF and a PSD. The import hasn't completed. The progress bar never advanced. After waiting, I click the progress bar X to abort it. Now I can't Quit Lightroom. The Quit is greyed out, as is the Import button and Import on the File Menu. Everything else seems to working as normal, but I can't Quit. I think I'm going to have to perform a Force Quit.

I think I'm going to have to perform a Force Quit.
The Forced Quit doesn't appear to have made anything any worse. In fact, I see on various forums people have been complaining of having to do this for years. So now back to my original post and searching for a fix. I'm also worrying how many other images may have the same problem.

I don't think there is a view that shows the 'Original File Name', but the field does exist. You can use it to rename images (again).
You are correct, none of the presets delivered with LR have this However, Jeffrey Freidl's Metadata-Viewer Preset Builder will let you construct such a preset. And Metadata Viewer is a plugin that lets you see all of there Metadata.

Oh, this Drobox link is useless. It's stripped out the metadata and converted the files from TIF to JPG. How can I upload the originals to this forum?

Copy the files to your iCloud storage area and get the link to the file from there
I've no idea how to navigate to iCloud Photos. I can copy to iCloud Drive, but this hasn't a Copy Link option. Maybe you mean Apple Photos (the app), but sharing is only to others with an iCloud Account - no public shared link option. I can't see a way to do this on my Mac.

Dropbox worked fine. And I only get the Scarborough image when searching for Any Searchable Field, likewise I only get Tintagel when I search for it. In other words, I don't experience the problem you're having.

Dropbox worked fine. And I only get the Scarborough image when searching for Any Searchable Field, likewise I only get Tintagel when I search for it. In other words, I don't experience the problem you're having.
Thank you Hal. I guess this proves two things; 1) my Lightroom Catalog is corrupted, and 2) I don't know how to use Dropbox. So, the question now is, how can I repair the catalog?

For those following this thread, I found some command lines to rebuild the catalog.
I first made a copy of the catalog and renamed it to "badcat.lcat", and then ran these 2 command lines...

iMac-2015:~ mike$ echo .dump | sqlite3 /Volumes/LaCie/badcat.lrcat > /Volumes/LaCie/temp.sql

iMac-2015:~ mike$ sqlite3 -init /Volumes/LaCie/temp.sql /Volumes/LaCie/newcat.lcat
-- Loading resources from /Volumes/LaCie 1/temp.sql
Error: near line 688520: no such table: sqlite_stat4
Error: near line 688521: no such table: sqlite_stat4
Error: near line 688522: no such table: sqlite_stat4
Error: near line 688523: no such table: sqlite_stat4
Error: near line 688524: no such table: sqlite_stat4

Followed by thousands of identical Error lines. In other words, the rebuild failed.

---SOLVED---SOLVED---SOLVED---SOLVED---SOLVED---SOLVED---SOLVED---
Thank you to all who have responded so far. Now here's the thing. I have a Collection named "1973 Tintagel Scarborough". It contains all the photos from the two folders where the each holiday is stored. If I rename the Collection to "1973 TXintagel SXcarborough", the problem goes away. Changing it back, and the problem reoccurs. It appears to be an Adobe BUG and it's reproducible. Perhaps someone would like to confirm this by creating a similar Collection.

It appears to be an Adobe BUG
I'm not sure about that. Adobe could well have made the names of collections that hold an image a "searchable field". Since some people use collections kind of like they use keywords, that would make some sense.

p.s. Congratulations on solving your problem.

I really don't think it's a bug, Mike. All Searchable Metadata is defined very broadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back