• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Classic Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ol OZ

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC ver 7.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
If I do not work in LR for a couple of hours, keep it open and go back later it shows "not responding" and I have to restart. This is happening daily and for a week. Any ideas?

I have had similar issues. This is a problem due, as I understand it, to a hard drive or camera card that has gone to sleep. I think wants to access it, but cannot.
Hopefully it is fixed in the next release.
I just shut LR off with task manager, then I restart it.

Yes, me too I was hoping that the update would be sooner rather than later........So went back a couple of versions and will wait for the fix!

This has become a serious problem for me. I have tried to isolate the problem by unplugging USB related media devices, but this does not seem to make any difference.

My gut instinct is this is a combo of a Microsoft and Adobe issue as it coincides for me with the latest Lr release, but I cannot ignore the fact that Microsoft have pushed out Windows updates recently also.

What I can say categorically is that I use a lot of different apps, but the only one which behaves in this way is Lightroom. It is now completely predictable for me. Work on Lightroom, go away for 15-30 mins and Lightroom is no longer responsive when I return. It has been like this for weeks.

I also think that Lr performance has dropped significantly. I was blaming A7R3 raw files, but recently shot a charity event and used small jpg (no raw) and still experienced unacceptable performance. I only wanted to star the images and crop the starred images. No tonal adjustments, no brushes or filters. When processing 1000's of images (Special Olympics) it was excruciating moving from one image to the next. When I tried to crop I always got a preview of the previous crop on the previous image before the current image popped into the Crop tool display.

I own PhotoMechanic and Capture One. I am seriously considering this combo for my workflow going forward.

This was a bug in LR Classic 7.3 which is thought to be fixed in 7.4, released today.

Good to know. Interesting to see what else will be dealt with.

I also found that using the new search function on folders was excruciatingly slow. Out of curiosity, I have coded a similar search using VB and also Python on my disk structure and find them to be almost instantaneous. I can only assume it is doing a convoluted search thru the database or else it is using outdated code libraries. There is no reason these searches should slow, so does not inspire confidence that other routines under the hood are optimal.

The folder search is a good idea, but not usable for me.

Amazing that the folder search performance issue is specifically catered for. I assumed I would have to test it and see if it might be an under the hood improvement. Hopefully this will be a useful tool for my workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back