• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Classic CC - Any happy campers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevevp

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: W10

Lightroom Version: 2015.12
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem:
I am keen to give Classic a go and upgrade from the latest/final LRCC2015.12. I have my catalog backed up, have nothing "mission critical" to lose and would just like to get on with it. However, there seems to be a dearth of success stories on this forum. I know it's early days and it is human nature to only post the negative comments but I would be interested to know how seamless anyone has found the upgrade to be. And a specific question, are there any incompatibilities with the new processing version which will affect previous work?

The new process version does not affect anything and will not change previous work. And you don't have to use it on older images, unless you want to edit them again and apply a local adjustment.

To your wider question, I would say that I'm in the "happy camper" camp. Setting aside the furore about the branding changes and the end of perpetual licensing I think LR Classic is a good step forward (as Johan said in another forum, if Classic had been simply the next dot version of LRCC2015, i.e. 2015.13, all existing subscribers would have been well pleased). But that's now water under the bridge, the point being that it's a good improvement over 2015.12. The performance gains are significant, and in those areas where a stop-watch can accuratley be used, e.g. preview building, there have been some huge gains. Better on OSX, at least in my house, but still good on Windows 10 (I think/hope there may be more to come here).

I like the embedded preview workflow as well, although again it's working better on OSX than Win10 for the moment. And the range mask tool looks pretty cool, too.

OK, I've been a LR user since LR3 came out. Everything was kindof fine and dandy with the few glitches etc all the way up to LR5. Shooting with a Canon 5DmkII on RAW until changing to the 5DS. LR5 wasn't compatible with the new RAW file format on the 5DS so I had to upgrade to LR6. My world fell apart at the seams! Without going in to too much detail, most of which you will be familiar with in respect to the pain endured, my editing went from turning a shoot around in a day, to taking days, and days. My workload backed up, my clients screamed for their images, I turned work down. I cried a lot. (very nearly sometimes!). EVERYTHING about LR6 was utterly demoralising. It was like they had thrown everything good away and started again but kept all the problems and glitches. I absolutely HATED Lightroom and hated Adobe even more because of their utter disregard for the outpouring of panic and grief from the community! I expect, genuinely, that businesses went under because of LR6. I went over to ON1 products, but it just wasn't Lightroom. I'd known LR for years and trying to learn a new system was just painful, even though ON1 is a really good product.
And now, yesterday, I upgraded to LR Classic. I opened it on a new catalogue and imported a folder, as VB recommended, just in case it screwed everthing up again. All I can say now, is I feel like crying again - WITH TEARS OF JOY!!! It is just great! It is everything I ever wanted from LR, mainly SPEED! I almost changed my laptop thinking it was a hardware issue that caused all the issues with LR6, but I have an Intel i7 quad core, with 32GB RAM, and dedicated drives, and a streamlined system that is only used for editing that cost £2500. Thank god I didn't spend another £2500 on a new system! I knew it was never my system.
I'm happy now. Shame about having to sign up to the subscription as I don't use anything apart from LR, but I don't care as long as it works!
Happy Happy Happy! So glad VB emailed about this! Thanks Victoria.

I was just thinking .... if

the new Lr CC was called Lr CC (Next Generation)
the existing Lr CC was left alone (ie not changed to Lr Classic)
and the perpetual licence issue was dealt with on a different time cycle ......

a lot of things might have been a lot calmer.

Well Gnits, all I can say is that you're not alone in thinking that.

I agree. If you think about it rationally, then the reactions are strange. Lightroom gets a significant upgrade after quite a while (the last few updates were bug fixes and new camera support only), and all people conclude is that it's on EOL support.

Thanks for all the advice especially @Nigel Wallace-Iles. I'm very glad it's working for you. This is what I was hoping for and I might now boldly go forward ... ;)

PS Quick question @Nigel Wallace-Iles, just to confirm, did you import a "folder" into the new catalog or an existing catalog? I'm not sure how to do the former (I'm not being pedantic).

I dove in and have been using it in production and it seems stable and a bit faster.

I think Classic is reasonably safe to use, though it never hurts to give a few weeks for the dust to settle if you want to be more conservative. Just have fun sorting the "dust" from the mud-slinging over LR CC and the CLoud. :)

I moved to Lightroom CC about 9 months ago and was now looking to move away, mainly due to the slowness of it all, so this update was very interesting to me, even though there was no way I was going to move to the cloud only version, ever - too many photos and slow internet.

So having read as much as I could on this forum (thanks to all those contributors) I took the plunge and updated to the LR Classic version, having taken many, many backups of everything. I chose to remove the old app, as its easy enough to reinstall if needed.

The upgrade of my catalogue (with some 53k photos all with metadata and 1800 edits on a 4 core 3.7GHz MacPro with 32GB ram and 2x AMD D500 GPUs) took just a couple of minutes and then it opened. A quick look around and so far everything looks to be okay, all metadata is there and all edits seem okay as well, thank goodness!

Speed, subjective of course, but there is a definite improvement stepping between photos, at ‘fit’ its instant, there is more of a delay on those that I’ve edited - but only the first time (in the old version there was always a long delay when returning to an edited photo, not now), and at 1:1 viewing [Loading..] only comes up occasionally, and the delay to fully sharp seems to be at least 50% faster, if not more - strangely the loading doesn’t show here as it used to. If there is a 1:1 preview then its all pretty instantaneous now.

Zooming in/out is also nearly instantaneous now.

Switching into Develop is quicker, and when returning to an edited photo, this happens much quicker than before. In fact stepping between photos whilst in Develop mode is also much better (quicker) now. I can’t see any noticeable differences in the tools application speed, apart from crop which comes up quickly now.

Exporting is also much quicker as well, again probably half the time taken.

On exiting, with catalogue backup on, this is also quicker, maybe taking half as long now. There seems to be a recurring theme here.

I’ve not tried any importing yet, so that remains to be seen how it performs - I’ll report back once I have.

So, so far I’m one happy bunny and as long as the Classic/local storage version sticks around I’ll probably be staying with it.

PS: One thing I have noticed is that the ‘disappearing panels’ bug is back, every time I minimise the app they are gone when I maximise it again, oh dear…

To your wider question, I would say that I'm in the "happy camper" camp.
I like the embedded preview workflow as well, although again it's working better on OSX than Win10 for the moment. And the range mask tool looks pretty cool, QUOTE]

I'm a surprised 'happy camper'. The backup of a catalog takes minimal time now. That might be connected to the conversion creating a catalog half the size of the original.
I had been so weary of the time required to do a weekly catalog optimize/backup routine that I made a small catalog for current activity. Then I'd export a finished collection from the small to the original huge catalog. I am thinking I won't have to do this any longer.
I did retain the previous version when installing by checking that box in the advanced settings but at this point its not likely I'll be going back to that since the speed and operation has so improved. I'm assuming I just uninstall it.
I didn't bother installing the cloud version.

Management and/or terminology of this update diluted the good work of those in the background revizing the code.

To keep it simple and forgetting the marketing screwups.
I am a happy camper with the new product called LR Classic. It runs well, and faster on my laptop than the previous version. The interface with PS is still what I need, and it too seems a bit snappier.

If Classic dies, I'll move on. As I said in a much much earlier post in a different thread - I believe LR CC will become that product, as the market is not what Adobe really thinks it is.

You can put me in the "Happy Camper" category. Once I figured out that Lightroom CC is only a preview of the direction Lightroom might be headed and that Lightroom Classic is the update that we have been waiting for. The transition has gone smoothly.
I did take a 6000 image subset of important images from my master catalog and migrate that to Lightroom Cloud app. That went well, including keeping a local copy go my master images. As an added bonus, I now have these 6000 images sync'd to my master catalog as well.
Upgrading the subscription and getting the additional 1TB of Cloud storage begins to make Lightroom Mobile a viable product.

I've just done the upgrade on my rMBP, all uneventful. I particularly like the new range mask tool although, for me, it would be more accurate if I could use the arrow keys to move the handles. I will upgrade my PC with main catalog in a couple of weeks when the dust has settled.
I am half tempted to experiment with Lightroom CC (cloud). An additional £5pm for 1TB (which is more than enough for me for the foreseeable) seems a good deal although I am not sure how long this pricing lasts.

Good to hear that, Cletus. Personally, I'd likely disagree with characterisation of LRCC as "only a preview" but no matter, if that is the case that I think it's a darn good one. For sure, for many existing Lightroom users it's feature incomplete (ranging from minor to very major, depending on your current level of usage), but I also have no doubt than for some/many potential new users it's already a more than viable 1.0 version.
As I said in the other thread, I'll stick with Classic as my usual go-to develop app, at least for now, but once my images are "done" in Classic they also end up (as an original) in the cloud system. Having that "anywhere I am" capability to view all my images is great.

An additional £5pm for 1TB (which is more than enough for me for the foreseeable) seems a good deal although I am not sure how long this pricing lasts.
The blurb I read said 12 months, but who knows, they may let us keep it for longer!

If you have been a Creative Cloud subscriber up till now, just consider this a good update. My catalog upgrade went smoothly. My plug-ins transferred cleanly. Everything has worked as I expected it to. My computer is old. It was purchased as a Windows 7 computer just as Windows 8 was being introduced. I have upgraded to Windows 10. No graphics card, 8 GB RAM, won't accept anymore, kind of a clunky old computer. But the new Classic is running just fine. I have played with the new Lightroom CC a little. It's cute for what it is, but it's not very complete. I might put it on my wife's laptop for when we travel. At this point I certainly wouldn't depend on it for any serious work.

Yeah, Classic's looking pretty good. I've been tracking the bugs as they all roll in, and they're fairly quiet for a x.0 release. Most of the issues are GPU issues on Windows, and there's not THAT many reports even then. Very few Mac users reporting issues at this stage, other than a couple of crashers on High Sierra.

We Americans need a translation of that colloquial expression. I'm still absorbing Johan's "blistered butt" comment.
I'm glad to have missed Johan's "blistered butt" comment! My use of the word turnip is in the context of "a turn-up for the book(s) meaning, definition, what is turn-up for the book(s): a surprising or unexpected event:". Perhaps in retrospect, my use of the word "turnip" for "turn up" might not have any meaning outside my own family ... :)

No worries Steve, I got it!

Perhaps in retrospect, my use of the word "turnip" for "turn up" might not have any meaning outside my own family ... :)

Just have to say it like a farmer! ;-)

Here in Texas, we have an expression describing an unsophisticated country hick. "Just fell off of the turnip truck" I could not make that work with your reference about pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back