• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Classic CC - Any happy campers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevevp

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: W10

Lightroom Version: 2015.12
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem:
I am keen to give Classic a go and upgrade from the latest/final LRCC2015.12. I have my catalog backed up, have nothing "mission critical" to lose and would just like to get on with it. However, there seems to be a dearth of success stories on this forum. I know it's early days and it is human nature to only post the negative comments but I would be interested to know how seamless anyone has found the upgrade to be. And a specific question, are there any incompatibilities with the new processing version which will affect previous work?

A little trouble with the Range Mask as it is OFF and I don't know how to get in ON. I will deal with that later.

If you haven't come across it yet - you click on the "OFF" and a popup menu will show.

I guess you have not read many forums. There is a lot of screaming....

YEP! And I would do a lot more myself if I had the stamina to keep up with everything. :dead:

Classic is noticeably faster for me (ignore the ancient kit in the old sig[1]) on my late 2012 iMac (3.4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive). Loads a lot faster (it had previously been so slow to get going that I'd resorted to splitting my catalog[2]), switching from Library to Develop is faster, moving between images in Develop is faster, and it generally feels more responsive. Apart from the name change and confusion caused by the way the cloudy version was announced, I'm a moderately happy camper. Not that camping is something I do.

[1] Joined here mumble years ago, haven't been back very often, at some point access to sig editing went away for people without many posts, but the old sig apparently didn't :eek2: [3]
[2] Didn't really help that much, and ended up remerging as I wanted access to all images for a new web project
[3] Nice smilies[4]
[4] Sorry, I like footnotes

Yeah, Classic's looking pretty good. I've been tracking the bugs as they all roll in, and they're fairly quiet for a x.0 release. Most of the issues are GPU issues on Windows, and there's not THAT many reports even then. Very few Mac users reporting issues at this stage, other than a couple of crashers on High Sierra.
Hi Victoria

Are the bugs introduced by the new version of Lightroom Classic being posted publicly anywhere? I just saw on Adobe's feedback site an acknowledged bug about reimporting exported images. I have upgraded (without really thinking about it) one of my databases, but since the upgrade can't be undone, it would be useful to review a list of known bugs before continuing with the other ones.

Thanks for all the information here.

Are the bugs introduced by the new version of Lightroom Classic being posted publicly anywhere?

I'm updating my release blog post with links to the main ones being reported (although I haven't added today's yet). You can always search the feedback forum to check the latest, and filter by acknowledged too.

I have now updated. No problems when upgrading. Took under 5 minutes. Every things seems to work. Only did a short test around the modules. The switch between images in both the Library and Develop module is much faster now when you browse. Fantastic! The Develop module seems to be faster. Still a little loading time when zooming into 1:1 view though. But overall faster and smoother. So a happy camper for now ;-)

The only issue I have with Lightroom Classic is when I drag images from Photo Mechanic into Lightroom to import them, it seems to spend a while thinking about importing them before it actually starts populating the Library. Once its started, it zips through them quickly. As I'm importing an average of 200 at any one time, the lag is frustrating. Everything else appears quicker though

Just an update to my post above, Adobe CC updated Lr Classic today, and the speed of imports has increased dramatically. It was so quick it caught me unawares! :)

I haven't done an import since upgrading to Lightroom Classic CC 7.1, but I can report that editing images in Photoshop is much snappier. I select some TIFFs and type cmd-E and nearly instantaneously the "What to Edit" dialog comes up. A welcome improvement.

I haven't done an import since upgrading to Lightroom Classic CC 7.1, but I can report that editing images in Photoshop is much snappier.

I am convinced that saving files in Photoshop is immensely quicker. It seems to be saving in the background as you work.

The other really nice feature is the ability to directly open photos which have been synced to Lr Mobile (and save files back to the server too).

Had noticed a marked decrease in the time it took to launch LR Classic 7.0. Often greater than a minute to approaching 2 minutes from the time the splash screen appeared. It was so bad I started using the trial versions of other software in preparation for possibly making a move away from Adobe. However LR 7.1 has fixed the problem...at least for me. It now launches consistently in around the 15 second range, which is not an issue. Also noticed it is quicker when editing, but have never really had a problem with the speed of edits.

MacOS x with 24 gig of memory.

Uffda!! It is fast. :)

Happy camper here, user of LR Classic and updated to latest release seamlessly. Happy also of the few bug fixes that this new release brought (fix of lights off especially!)

Happy camper here, user of LR Classic and updated to latest release seamlessly. Happy also of the few bug fixes that this new release brought (fix of lights off especially!)

I notice that they still haven't fixed the issues with some AMD graphics cards.. Thank goodness I'm going to be getting a new PC soon - and steering clear of AMD graphics cards due to the frequent issues between them and LR.

For the sake of the perpetual users, I would hope that the reported last update ought to fix that - and in the process, Classic.

What are the issues with AMD Graphics cards?

What are the issues with AMD Graphics cards?

When trying to enable the graphics acceleration, it will say "disabled due to errors". It started with 2015.10.1, IIRC. Under the known issues on Adobe's site for that version, it said something about rolling back a video driver. But AMD now considers my integrated 'card' a legacy, and stopped development. Regardless, I've tried all my older drivers and none of them want to work with LR anymore.

That is interesting. I checked after reading this and I have a AMD Radeon HD 6750. Underneath is an Intel HD Graphics 3000. My graphics acceleration is enabled and it seems to be fine.

Maybe LR is just using your Intel HD Graphics 3000, perhaps?

Here, this laptop has an AMD A8-3500M APU with integrated Radeon HD 6620G. I notice that your Radeon is even in the same family as that.

OTOH, I think it only affects certain systems - it's not across the board. There was also someone on Luminous Landscapes that had the same issue (IIRC) with his AMD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back