• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Classic backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

crbuckjr

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR classic 7.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I am trying to backup, using "export as a catalog". My main file is on a SSD and I am backing up to a external hard drive. Both are connected to a fast (blue) USB port.

I have tried several times but the process doesn't go through to completion. (the desktop power setting is set to not turn of the computer)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On my Mac when I exit Lr it asks me if I want to backup the catalog and to where. I say yes if I have made any changes in Preferences or images. I have the catalog backup going to my external data drive where I have folders for catalog backups, images, documents, videos...etc. So that is the first level of backup. Then I have the entire file system, internal SSD plus external data drive, backed up by Time Machine (MacOS backup app) to a completely separate dedicated backup drive. That has worked well for me. I could take the next step and also baakup to a cloud service.....but I don't.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 11.47.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 11.47.37 AM.png
    265.1 KB · Views: 203
Lightroom uses working storage /TEMP as a staging area. Your primary Disk Drive may not have enough free space to hold the temporary files the LR Generates. This is especially tear is you are including Digital negatives in your Export as a catalog.

"Export as a Catalog" is not a useful backup strategy. As this does not copy all of the metadata stored in the primary catalog. Lightroom Creates a backup catalog on exit as Mcasan has already mentioned. This is simply a file copy of the existing catalog file with some database maintenance thrown in. This is all you need to protect your catalog file in case of corruption. However it is recommended strongly that you use a system wide backup app to backup all of your critical user files including your master image copied and master catalog and LR settings files. MacOS backup app is Time Machine and there are similar apps that do almost as good a job on Windows. A system wide backup app runs in the background unattended and on a schedule so that all you need to do is set it up and start it automatically on boot up.

I wasn't clear. I am wanting to back up my catalog and all the pics. I have used "export as a catalog" successfully for the last few years. For example, When I switch to my summer home all I have to do is hook up my SSD drive (or the spare backup) to the desktop at that location and point LR Classic to that catalog and I am in business. It works well for my situation.

So, while there might be other approaches I should consider, at this point I am hoping to get help making this approach work successful ly

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back