• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module LR Classic 9.0 - Is an eGPU worth it yet with a non-4/5K monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavots

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I run LR on a 2018 Mac Mini i7 32GB RAM with a NEC PA272 monitor (non-4k).
I'm curious if Adobe has now updated LR Classic's GPU acceleration enough to warrant getting an eGPU. So far there has been no compelling reason to do so.

I would agree with you "So far there has been no compelling reason to do so."

I run LR classic with over 300,000 images on a MacBook Pro late 2014, i7, 16GB, with Drobo, works really fast.

Although I'm looking at for my new studio a Mac Mini, i7, 6 core, 64GB, with dual 4k monitors

I run LR on a 2018 Mac Mini i7 32GB RAM with a NEC PA272 monitor (non-4k).
I'm curious if Adobe has now updated LR Classic's GPU acceleration enough to warrant getting an eGPU. So far there has been no compelling reason to do so.
Hard to say without comparing. The monitor or monitors are still the most important reason for an eGPU. I have the same Mac Mini as you, but with two 4K monitors and the BlackMagic eGPU. On my Mac edits are in real time. No delay when I move a slider. My wife used a 5K monitor on her MacBook Pro 13" initially, but Lightroom was so slow that she went back to a non-5K monitor. I wanted to demonstrate the Texture slider, and for I moment I thought it did not work on her computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back