• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Classic 8.3.1 Adjustment tool (K ) ultra slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzy J

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I am trying to make a background white on a family photo shoot ( as in a cut out ) as I have done for years successfully on old LR Version 5.5.
I have the latest Imac going, and have LR Classic Version 8.3.1., so not a dinosaur programme, but when I am using the Adjustment tool to lighten the background,
it takes ages and I have the coloured circle going round and round, so have to wait till it completes the small adjustment of( Exposure 3.19) on the background!!!
This is slowing my workflow down considerably and I have clients waiting for their photos! I am pretty pissed off as my old I mac and older version of LR was faster!!
WHY IS THIS?? I am not working online, so that's not the issue.Any ideas folks????

You have missed the v8.4 and v9.0 updates. v8.4 introduced improved GPU performance changes.
It might be worth updating to v9.0.

I got a new iMac about a month ago and don't have any issues. I am not following the suggested order of develop operations but you may want to try it after updating to v9.0. From this document which would be a good idea to read entirely.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
Spot Removal tool, local corrections, and History panel

The Spot Removal Tool and Local Corrections Brush are not designed for hundreds to thousands of corrections. If your image contains many (hundreds) of localized adjustments, consider using a pixel-based editing application such as Photoshop for that level of correction.
If you have many corrections, check your History panel. The History panel has no limits, and it isn't deleted unless specified. If you've been creating many local or spot corrections, your history could be long, which can slow Lightroom's performance as a whole.
Clear the History panel by clicking the X on the right of the History panel header.

Order of Develop operations

The best order of Develop operations to increase performance is as follows:
  1. Spot healing.
  2. Geometry corrections, such as Lens Correction profiles and Manual corrections, including keystone corrections using the Vertical slider.
  3. Global non-detail corrections, such as Exposure and White Balance. These corrections can also be done first if desired.
  4. Local corrections, such as Gradient Filter and Adjustment Brush strokes.
  5. Detail corrections, such as Noise Reduction and Sharpening.
Note: Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.

You have missed the v8.4 and v9.0 updates. v8.4 introduced improved GPU performance changes.
It might be worth updating to v9.0.
Thanks, if I update to v9.0, can I leave my current files etc in Lightroom as I am in middle of a job and I don't want to empty my folders in LR?
I am not sure if updating will solve the problem, as my LR 5.5 Version was excellent and I never had to wait for an adjustment to actually do it's job!
I haven't got PS open or any other programmes that could use up space and as I have only had the i mac since August I don't have loads of files on the HD. The graphics card that came with the imac is RadeonPro 570x4GB. I have 8 Gb Ram and my processor is 3Ghz Intelcore i5. I can't see why the adjustment tool should be so slow, even when I am just starting to lighten the background and even making a small colour temp change takes ages to show up on the photo. If you say I can leave my files in Lightroom I will update to v9.0. The reason I hadn't done so yet, was because it said it was mainly for new camera releases.

I got a new iMac about a month ago and don't have any issues. I am not following the suggested order of develop operations but you may want to try it after updating to v9.0. From this document which would be a good idea to read entirely.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
Spot Removal tool, local corrections, and History panel

The Spot Removal Tool and Local Corrections Brush are not designed for hundreds to thousands of corrections. If your image contains many (hundreds) of localized adjustments, consider using a pixel-based editing application such as Photoshop for that level of correction.
If you have many corrections, check your History panel. The History panel has no limits, and it isn't deleted unless specified. If you've been creating many local or spot corrections, your history could be long, which can slow Lightroom's performance as a whole.
Clear the History panel by clicking the X on the right of the History panel header.

Order of Develop operations

The best order of Develop operations to increase performance is as follows:
  1. Spot healing.
  2. Geometry corrections, such as Lens Correction profiles and Manual corrections, including keystone corrections using the Vertical slider.
  3. Global non-detail corrections, such as Exposure and White Balance. These corrections can also be done first if desired.
  4. Local corrections, such as Gradient Filter and Adjustment Brush strokes.
  5. Detail corrections, such as Noise Reduction and Sharpening.
Note: Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.
Hi Thanks for your answer and info. I have read up on the info you sent through, bit of a minefield to read LOL. I don't have hundreds of adjustments per photo and as I said before I never has this problem before in my much older LR version5.5 on a 10 year old imac with only 4GM Ram. Now I have the latest I mac with 8GB Ram, so there shouldn't be an issue. I will check if LR is performing in 64bit, not 32 bit. I have the previews set up as Embedded when I import my raw files. Can this affect LR performance? I'd be surprised it it did. If that is wrong and affects LR performance what is the best import setting for the previews? Can I change this once files are in LR? I have only just started editing a job, so if I remove the catalog from LR and then re-import it from my HD, what is the best setting to import the previews? Many thanks

I don't think embedded will cause issues. That is just for culling when you first import while waiting for the previews to build. You have to wait for them anyway. I don't think you can change this once the are imported. I use 1:1 because I pre-cull using Canon's DPP before I import. I think I tried Embedded once but I prefer my method so I'm not the best person to ask. If you aren't in a hurry to cull at import then just 1:1 I suppose would be best?

Lizzy J, Sorry to be slow in answering (have been away).
Yes the v9.0 and 8.4 both had other improvements besides camera compatibility-
Here is a link that lists features updated-
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.htmlIncluding-

ScreenShot578.jpg

ScreenShot577.jpg

if I update to v9.0, can I leave my current files etc in Lightroom as I am in middle of a job and I don't want to empty my folders in LR?
I am not sure what you mean by this!
Any Lightroom Update/Upgrade does not involve "emptying" your "Folders" or image files.
Yes, the Classic 9.0 update does make a copy or your (8.3) working Catalog and makes it compatible with 9.0 (It adds a -2 to the end of the new Catalog name). You simply open the modified '-2' Catalog and keep on working on the "job". (Starting a totally new Catalog is NOT the way to go!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back