• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR classic 10.0 does not show all files in folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ants.koel

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.0 build 202010011851-ef6045e0 Camera raw 13.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Win10 shows 221 canon created raw .CR2 files in folder., all from the same day.
I copied these files in 2 batches form the SDcard folder.
After copying the 1st batch of 175 files I imported them all and developed the content and found that some files are missing.
I found the missing 46 files on the SDcard and copied them to the same folder as the previous ones in second batch.
If I select library import then I can see all the files from both batches. In Library folders (left column) I see only the number of files from the last 2nd batch import and in library view I see the same pictures.

What should I do to see both import batches at the same time?

I see only the number of files from the last 2nd batch import
Is it possible you are only looking at the [Previous Import] list in the Catalog Panel?
[Right-Click] on one of the images and select [Go to Folder in Library] to see all images imported to the same folder.

Dear all and I-See-Light
I worked out a quick fix, but I do not like it at all.
Since I saw all files in import, I clicked off the "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates checkmark in right side File-handling menu,
After re-import process I see all files but the editing data is lost.

There was a similar case some time ago when I imported dng files from my foveon-sigma first and added canon raw into the same folder next. The sigma import turned somehow on the conversion to dng of any added files. It could not be seen or turned off from Import procedure right side File-handling or Apply-during-import menus. Since I had no good results from the sigma, I deleted the whole folder, copied and imported files from canon to the new folder. This way it was possible to switch back to raw CR2 but it seems similar to the current "feature" that I reported.

I-See-Light, the proposed approach unfortunately did not help.

Win10 shows 221 canon created raw .CR2 files in folder., all from the same day.
I copied these files in 2 batches form the SDcard folder.
After copying the 1st batch of 175 files I imported them all and developed the content and found that some files are missing.
I found the missing 46 files on the SDcard and copied them to the same folder as the previous ones in second batch.
Copied the remaining 46 images using Lightroom or windows explorer? If the latter, this is why Lightroom isn't showing them.

Lightroom is not a general purpose folder browser. If you add images to a folder using a different program, Lightroom won't notice or care about them automatically. They will not be shown in the Lightroom library interface. For very good reasons, you have to explicitly import images into Lightroom for them to be considered part of Lightroom's catalog of images.

If I select library import then I can see all the files from both batches. In Library folders (left column) I see only the number of files from the last 2nd batch import and in library view I see the same pictures.

What should I do to see both import batches at the same time?

If you are trying to import the missing 46 images from the SD card, stop. You said above they are already in the desired folder.

If you are trying to import the missing 46 images from the folder with the other 175, your thinking is good but you're using the wrong tool. Find that folder in Lightroom, right-click on it, and select "synchronize." Lightroom will give you the option to import any images in that folder that aren't already present in Lightroom's catalog.

Moving forward, try not to use both windows explorer AND Lightroom to import/move/relocate images off an SD card. Lightroom can import directly off an SD card and copy the desired images to whatever location you desire. That is the recommended way.

Dear all and I-See-Light
I worked out a quick fix, but I do not like it at all.
Since I saw all files in import, I clicked off the "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates checkmark in right side File-handling menu,
After re-import process I see all files but the editing data is lost.
It's unlikely you lost your edits. It's more likely you now have duplicates of the original 175 and are only looking at those fresh, unedited duplicates. How many images does Lightroom now say you have in this folder?

There was a similar case some time ago when I imported dng files from my foveon-sigma first and added canon raw into the same folder next. The sigma import turned somehow on the conversion to dng of any added files. It could not be seen or turned off from Import procedure right side File-handling or Apply-during-import menus. Since I had no good results from the sigma, I deleted the whole folder, copied and imported files from canon to the new folder. This way it was possible to switch back to raw CR2 but it seems similar to the current "feature" that I reported.

Sounds like you accidentally had "Copy as DNG" turned on at the top of the Import window. It's hard to notice when these things change sometimes. I circled it in the below screenshot.

I'd strongly recommend you work on your understanding of Lightroom's file handling and Import best practices. This site offers a free eBook that will get you in the right direction: Adobe Lightroom Classic - Free Quick Start eBook - The Lightroom Queen

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 10.38.27 PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back